Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Paul Baclace <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/29 09:48:43 UTC

ycsb and hbase 0.95.1 hadoop2

[This might look like a user list question, or a question for another
project, but people on the hbase dev list use ycsb to test hbase, and
the side effect of my progress on this benefits hbase more than any
other project... please indulge me.]

I have been unable to build ycsb for hbase 0.95.1  hadoop2, even though
I added the artifacts to my local repo like so:

mvn install:install-file
-Dfile=../hbase-0.95.1-hadoop2/lib/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core-2.0.2-alpha.jar
-DgroupId=org.apache.hadoop -DartifactId=hadoop-mapreduce-client-core
-Dversion=2.0.2-alpha -Dpackaging=jar

mvn install:install-file
-Dfile=../hbase-0.95.1-hadoop2/lib/hbase-client-0.95.1-hadoop2.jar
-DgroupId=org.apache.hbase -DartifactId=hbase-client
-Dversion=0.95.1-hadoop2 -Dpackaging=jar

I looked at the pom.xml in the jar files to determine the parameters,
modified ycsb pom.xml and hbase/pom.xml; ycsb  "mvn clean package" has
errors, not finding basic stuff:

[ERROR]
/Volumes/pebproject/ThirdEye/LSI/ws/YCSB/hbase/src/main/java/com/yahoo/ycsb/db/HBaseClient.java:[34,29]
package org.apache.hadoop.conf does not exist
[ERROR]
/Volumes/pebproject/ThirdEye/LSI/ws/YCSB/hbase/src/main/java/com/yahoo/ycsb/db/HBaseClient.java:[35,30]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class KeyValue
location: package org.apache.hadoop.hbase
[ERROR]
/Volumes/pebproject/ThirdEye/LSI/ws/YCSB/hbase/src/main/java/com/yahoo/ycsb/db/HBaseClient.java:[46,35]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Bytes
location: package org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util
[ERROR]
/Volumes/pebproject/ThirdEye/LSI/ws/YCSB/hbase/src/main/java/com/yahoo/ycsb/db/HBaseClient.java:[47,30]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class HBaseConfiguration
location: package org.apache.hadoop.hbase
[... more not shown for brevity ]

I suspect ycsb pom.xml [https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB] is not
ready for packaging changes made in hbase 0.95 OR could it be that
adding jars to a local maven repo, because they are not yet on a
centralized server, simply does not suffice because not all dependencies
are added?   HBaseConfiguration is in hbase-common-0.95.1-hadoop2.jar ,
but how to add all the turtles all the way down?

What's the secret to using ycsb for the latest HBase?

Re: ycsb and hbase 0.95.1 hadoop2

Posted by Paul Baclace <pa...@gmail.com>.
I eventually determined that bin/ycsb (a python script) was causing most
of the linkage problems, so I recommend using your own bash script to
start ycsb for HBase. The problem is that the ordering of paths in the
classpath is completely uncontrolled: bin/ycsb does not put the
hbase-binding/conf first, so it can pick up a default hbase-site.xml
found in a jar, and it will recursively include any jars in any
subdirectories under hbase-binding/ (a surprise when I mv'ed some files
to a subdir like dont_use_these and lsof showed them to be in use).

I ended up using hbase 0.95.1 hadoop1 on Apache Hadoop 1.0.4 for my
benchmarking.

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Baclace <pa...@gmail.com>.