Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jgunz <sl...@twcny.rr.com> on 2008/04/07 18:30:01 UTC

Queue eviction policy

I dug through the website and the mailing list and am still a bit confused...

Is there a way to set a maximum size (either by message count or memory
size) on a specific Queue?

Is there a way to specify an eviction policy, in the way you can for slow
consumers, for a specific Queue?

What I am trying to do is define a Queue with a known size so that if my
consumers go down, old messages are dropped (FIFO) and any producers can
just carry on.

One last question, if I set a time to live value for a message on a queue,
will it eventually be removed before being sent if that time expires?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Queue eviction policy

Posted by jgunz <sl...@twcny.rr.com>.

rajdavies wrote:

>> I dug through the website and the mailing list and am still a bit
>> confused...
>>
>> Is there a way to set a maximum size (either by message count or
>> memory
>> size) on a specific Queue?
>>
>> Is there a way to specify an eviction policy, in the way you can for
>> slow
>> consumers, for a specific Queue?
> Nice idea - can you raise a jira?

Thank you for the help. I have created a JIRA issue (
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1648 AMQ-1648 ) for this
feature. Please vote on it if you're interested.

-R

Re: Queue eviction policy

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 7 Apr 2008, at 17:30, jgunz wrote:

> I dug through the website and the mailing list and am still a bit
> confused...
>
> Is there a way to set a maximum size (either by message count or
> memory
> size) on a specific Queue?
>
> Is there a way to specify an eviction policy, in the way you can for
> slow
> consumers, for a specific Queue?
>
> What I am trying to do is define a Queue with a known size so that
> if my
> consumers go down, old messages are dropped (FIFO) and any producers
> can
> just carry on.
Nice idea - can you raise a jira?

> One last question, if I set a time to live value for a message on a
> queue,
> will it eventually be removed before being sent if that time expires?
Yes

> Thanks for the help.

cheers,

Rob