Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2012/06/04 21:22:22 UTC

10.9 testing tasks

If you are planning to tackle tasks on the 10.9.1 checklist, could you
take a moment to mark those tasks with your name:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenNineOneChecklist If we can develop a
sense of where our gaps are, then we may be able to fill those gaps.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: 10.9 testing tasks

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 6/4/12 12:22 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>> If you are planning to tackle tasks on the 10.9.1 checklist, could you
>> take a moment to mark those tasks with your name:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenNineOneChecklist If we can develop a
>> sense of where our gaps are, then we may be able to fill those gaps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> Thanks to everyone who claimed tasks. I took the liberty of putting Knut and
> Nirmal's names on the org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner task.
>
> A couple tasks are still unclaimed:
>
> o ODBC tests - This task is marked as "Not expecting this" because that's
> what we did in 10.8.2. Did we just run out of time in 10.8.2? Is there a
> battery of tests which we should run for this task? If we don't care about
> this task anymore, then we should probably remove it from our checklist.
>
> o Recovery after crashing engine - Is there more detail about what this task
> involves? Armed with more detail, the task could be picked up by someone who
> hasn't run it before.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

We didn't do this in 10.8.2, and I don't think for 10.7 either. In
fact, as we know of no currently supported ODBC driver that interfaces
with derby, we cannot do any testing.
We should just remove the ODBC testing from this list.

Myrna

Re: 10.9 testing tasks

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

Re: 10.9 testing tasks

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.
Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Rick Hillegas
> <ri...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>     If you are planning to tackle tasks on the 10.9.1 checklist, could
>     you take a moment to mark those tasks with your name:
>     http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenNineOneChecklist If we can
>     develop a sense of where our gaps are, then we may be able to fill
>     those gaps.
>

> I would love to help testing
> "org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner", but I've not looked
> into that Class yet. Is it a good pick for a novice (of this area)?
>
> Is there any guide line to follow?

I don't think there is one. Previously, the testers have typically just
picked a few combinations that they ran in their environment with both
the latest released version and the current release candidate, and
compared the results from the two versions to verify that the
performance hasn't gone down.

I'm going to run some of these tests on Solaris, but it would be useful
to see results from other platforms too. And two testers will probably
configure the JVM/db/test/OS differently, which will increase the
likelihood of discovering regressions that only manifest themselves in
certain configurations.

--
Knut Anders

Re: 10.9 testing tasks

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>wrote:

> If you are planning to tackle tasks on the 10.9.1 checklist, could you
> take a moment to mark those tasks with your name:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-**derby/TenNineOneChecklist<http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenNineOneChecklist>If we can develop a sense of where our gaps are, then we may be able to
> fill those gaps.

I would love to help testing "org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner",
but I've not looked into that Class yet. Is it a good pick for a novice (of
this area)?

Is there any guide line to follow?

Thanks.

--