Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2009/11/12 10:20:19 UTC

Terminology

Hi,

afaik the current terminology for ACE uses bundles, groups and license.
I know that this has historical background, but I somehow feel uneasy
with these :)
So what do you think of changing them, especially license might cause
problems.

This is not a must.

Given that we might change this, where do we have to apply these changes?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

RE: Terminology

Posted by Martijn van Berkum <mv...@gx.nl>.
Also +1 on updating the terminology, they are confusing for a first time user.

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.
+1 for updating terminology.
I have exactly the same issue since i started working with ace.

Personally i had issues with understanding the real meaning of:

[Gateway]
They are basically the provisioning targets, management agent runs on them)
I had trouble with getting used to it but now it works. Still, to me this
term seems a bit outdates to me. (like a term from the 90s).

[License]
This is more about assigning bundle groups to gateways. Routhly speaking:
license is one possible implementation to archive this, but having license
as a core concept is really not necessary, and also confusing.
So, what i'm saying here is not just a renaming, its more about trimming the
core down and make the license concept an optional implementation "plugin".

On the other hand, bundles & groups are fairly straightforward ;)
..