Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Koes, Derrick" <De...@Smith-Nephew.com> on 2002/07/09 23:28:42 UTC

NT Event Viewer dll question

I'm using log4j in my web app.  I'm also using the dll that allows logging
to the NT Event Viewer application log.

However, I cannot use the manager servlet to undeploy and redeploy an
updated version of my web app because of a stack trace produced that states
that the dll is already loaded.

Is there any way to configure log4j/tomcat to check for this?

Thanks,

Derrick

Re: NT Event Viewer dll question

Posted by Christopher Taylor <cs...@java-internals.com>.
There are two ways to fix this:

- Move your log4j classes into the Tomcat context (and not within your own
server context).  Not very portable (you couldn't just drop 'n run the WAR
file)
- Change the static initializer in the
org.apache.log4j.nt.NTEventLogAppender in the following way:

static
{
try
{
    System.loadLibrary ( "NTEventLogAppender" );
}
catch ( UnsatisfiedLinkError error )
{
    // throw this one
    throw error;
}
catch ( Exception oops )
{
    // ignore this one
}
}

Can you tell me what exception you're getting in the stack trace?

-Chris

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I have the same issue with Tomcat without the whole dll thing.  I can use
the manager to install my app and then use it to remove the app.  Every
library is released except for log4j.jar so I can't do a clean build.  I
can work around it, but it is very annoying.  only after I do a full
shutdown of Tomcat is the log4j.jar in my webapp released.

If anyone knows a solution to this, please post it to the list.

Jake