Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron McNulty <rm...@xtra.co.nz> on 2008/04/19 07:28:34 UTC

Accessing URL parameters

Hi All

JSR168 prohibits a portlet from accessing parameters attached to a page URL,
and Jetspeed implements this correctly.

But I am trying to convert our applications to portlets. These applications
change their behaviour dependent on date, and have a simple system that lets
our testers add the test date to the URL:
 e.g. http://localhost:8080/forms/myform?testDate=20080423

This is obviously net going to work in the portlet world. My question is,
can anyone suggest an elegant alternative? I had some ideas about a separate
portlet that puts the test date into System.properties, but have not tried
it.

Regards

Ron

Re: Accessing URL parameters

Posted by Ron McNulty <rm...@xtra.co.nz>.
Hi John

Thanks for the feedback.

I am aware of this technique for a submit for one of my own pages, but the
parameters I want to access are on the inital GET of the page. I have
absolutely no control over how the URL is formed - does your technique work
there?

Regards

Ron

"John Platts" <jo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Ron,

The correct way to include URLs that include parameters is to use the
RenderResponse.createActionURL() or the RenderResponse.createRenderURL()
methods, and then include the result of the PortletURL.toString() method in
the href attribute of the <a> tag or the action attribute of the <form> tag.

John Platts

Posted by John Platts <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Ron,

Posted by Ron McNulty <rm...@xtra.co.nz>.
Thanks Ate

Unfortunately our target platform is IBM Websphere Portal Server, so this
tweak will not work there. But an interesting response neverless.

Regards

Ron

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Hi Ron,