Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2014/12/14 04:15:36 UTC

Determining next steps for the NPanday

Hi NPandy folks!

Is there any real chance of this podling building momentum
and becoming a viable Apache project?

It seems that your active mentors (e.g. Konstantin Boudnik)
have indicated to the IPMC that they believe this is unlikely
to happen and have recommended retirement of the podling.

Unless there is a compelling reason not to do this then
IPMC will proceed with a vote on whether to recommend
retirement as a path forward for the poddling and then
act based on the results of that vote.

If anybody feels they can make a compelling argumemt to
keep NPanday in the ASF Incubator now would be the perfect
time to let IPMC know.

Please note, that staying in the Incubator would requite
active participation from at least 3 NPanday developers.

Thanks,
Roman (ASF Incubator Chair)

Re: AW: Determining next steps for the NPanday

Posted by Greg Domjan <GD...@netiq.com>.
Hi

We are just starting to use NPanday and only have a few projects, what holds us back is having to use snapshot if we want to use this in a 'production' build.
I'm not familiar with the version/release practices for apache incubator.

It would be really good to have a 1.5-incubating release, even as it is now it is much improved over 1.4.
I don't feel comfortable in making the release myself being only new to the project.

I'd like to contribute more, but also needing to find the time.

Greg

>>> Lars Corneliussen // Zen <me...@lcorneliussen.de> 12/15/14 5:25 AM >>>
Hi Roman,

even though it "hurts" I think retiring the project is the right thing to do.
Not because of the quality of NPanday, but just because the (developer!) community is effectively gone.

While I'm still using NPanday every day (1.5 snapshot), it is all on the same project and there is no need for further development currently.

And just the fact that we haven't been able to release 1.5 for ages shows the lack of a functioning community.

I might invest in releasing 1.5 - but I might also keep saying this the years to come.

Although for releasing 1.5 we wouldn't need more than somebody just doing the release with how 1.5 is now.
http://incubator.apache.org/npanday/docs/1.5.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/developers/releasing.html

So if someone volunteers - just go ahead.
_
Lars

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Also, I presume the report won't happen this time around as noone has answered
my email from a few days ago.

Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
What Roman said. I am happy to help with the release process from guidance
standpoint, but I won't be able to help with the release itself as I don't
have the knowledge in the project's mechanics.

Cos

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "me@lcorneliussen.de" <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
http://incubator.apache.org/npanday/docs/1.5.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/developers/releasing.html

I'm sure Brett is happy to assist (I have never done a release either...)

_
Mobil versendet

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:50 AM, David Akehurst <da...@akehurst.net> wrote:
> I will try

What's the timeline on this?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Determining next steps for the NPanday

Posted by David Akehurst <da...@akehurst.net>.
I will try

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by David Akehurst <da...@akehurst.net>.