Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ionel GARDAIS <ig...@yahoo.fr> on 2004/11/09 18:33:27 UTC

use both programmatic and file configuration

Hi,

I'd like to provide a way to add loggers/appenders to
log4j whereas I have already configured it
programmaticaly with a default, unremoveable appender.

That is, I have a ConsoleAppender or FileAppender
(defined in code) and I'd like to allow the user to
add an SMTPAppender if he wants to.

How could I archieve this ?
Does the fact that the user provides a log4j
configuration file annihilate the programmatic part ?

thanks,
Ionel

Re: use both programmatic and file configuration

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Ionel,

If your programmatically configured appender is attached to a logger, say
x, and your user's SMTPAppender (configured using a script) is attached to
logger y, where x != y, then user's configuration will not override the
programmatic configration. However, if x=y then, your programmatically
configured appender will be closed before SMTPAppender is attached to logger x.

Does that help?

--
Ceki Gülcü

      http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/eclm/