Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> on 2004/04/02 04:42:49 UTC

Validator Plugin

Currently the Validator PlugIn doesn’t validate the XML file. I have updated it to remove the deprecated methods and to validate the XML files.

Here is the question: Currently, the validator plugin fails by logging a message but doesn’t take advantage of throwing an exception. I believe it should throw an exception if the validator file is invalid. Are there any thoughts or objections to throwing an exception, is that too incompatable  with its current behaviour ?

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.
Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

> otherwise the var-jstype element is considered required.
>
> I'm also not an XML guru, but I'm pretty sure that limiting the contents
of
> the var-jstype element is not possible with DTDs.
>
> Matt Bathje

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by mp...@ntsource.com.

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

RE: Validator and Struts 1.2.1 rollout

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

I'd be OK with declaring 1.1.2 stillborn and rolling a 1.1.3 release. We'll
need to wait for resolution on the ongoing thread about the common
project.xml file. Also, as David mentioned on commons-dev, it would be good
to have a unit test for var-jstype, just to make sure we're all set.

The changes that have gone into HEAD since 1.1.2 look like they're something
we'll want to let people have a chance to play with in nightly builds for a
while, before we commit them to a release, and therefore to backwards
compatibility requirements. So I wouldn't be comfortable rolling those into
a Validator 1.2.0 at this point.

--
Martin Cooper

> -Rob
>
> mpb@ntsource.com wrote:
>
> >One issue with this is to make sure the validator DTD is up to date.
> >
> >The reason I say this is because the DTD appears to be missing
> the var-jstype
> >sub-element of the var element. Even the 1.2.0 version of the
> DTD on CVS is
> >missing this.
> >
> >I assume it is a valid element, because even though I can't validate my
> >document, the element is used properly when I set it.
> >
> >Matt Bathje

Re: Validator and Struts 1.2.1 rollout

Posted by mp...@ntsource.com.
> > I couldn't find a reference to <var-jstype> in any version of the dtds
> > in
> > commons validator.  Is this actually a valid element that was
> > accidentally
> > removed?  If so, when was it added and when was it removed?
>
> Digging around a bit more I found Var.setJsType() and a pattern in
> digester-rules.xml to parse it from the xml but I would still be
> interested in knowing if the element was ever defined in a dtd.

I poked around through the validator and struts (attic) cvs repositories
before I sent my original message to the list, and couldn't find a mention of
var-jstype in any of the versions. Not a definite "it never existed" but
certainly leans toward it.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
> > This directly impacts the Struts 1.2.1 release.
> >
> > Now that the Validation of Validator is turned on we now know that
> > Struts 1.2.1 will not  work with
> > any currently released version of Validator including 1.1.2 because of
> >
> > faultly DTD.
>
> I couldn't find a reference to <var-jstype> in any version of the dtds
> in
> commons validator.  Is this actually a valid element that was
> accidentally
> removed?  If so, when was it added and when was it removed?

Digging around a bit more I found Var.setJsType() and a pattern in
digester-rules.xml to parse it from the xml but I would still be
interested in knowing if the element was ever defined in a dtd.

David

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
mpb@ntsource.com wrote:

>One issue with this is to make sure the validator DTD is up to date.
>
>The reason I say this is because the DTD appears to be missing the var-jstype
>sub-element of the var element. Even the 1.2.0 version of the DTD on CVS is
>missing this.
>
>I assume it is a valid element, because even though I can't validate my
>document, the element is used properly when I set it.

So we should change

<!ELEMENT var (var-name, var-value)>
<!ELEMENT var (var-name, var-value,var-jstype)>

It looks like there shoud be a way to generate a DTD from a set of
digester rules.

>Matt Bathje

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by mp...@ntsource.com.

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
David Graham wrote:

>--- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Currently the Validator PlugIn doesnâEUR^(TM)t validate the XML file. I have
>>updated it to remove the deprecated methods and to validate the XML
>>files.
>>
>>Here is the question: Currently, the validator plugin fails by logging a
>>message but doesnâEUR^(TM)t take advantage of throwing an exception. I believe
>>it should throw an exception if the validator file is invalid. Are there
>>any thoughts or objections to throwing an exception, is that too
>>incompatable  with its current behaviour ?
>>

>I agree that we should throw the exception.  IMO, it should fail fast and
>loud at startup if you've misconfigured the validations.

I agree with this as well, but of course the same concept should apply
to all our other configuration information.  How many of us have
mistyped the name of a form bean class, for example (raises hand :-).

There was an interesting thread on a similar situation with Hivemind on
COMMONS-DEV last week, where those developers seem to believe that users
shouldn't want such support ever.  I don't agree with that extreme a
viewpoint, but it might be nice to make such checks a configuration
parameter option (I'd vote for default=true because it probably won't
hit startup performance enough to matter for most people).

>David

Craig

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, David Graham wrote:

> --- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Currently the Validator PlugIn doesn’t validate the XML file. I have
> > updated it to remove the deprecated methods and to validate the XML
> > files.
> >
> > Here is the question: Currently, the validator plugin fails by logging a
> > message but doesn’t take advantage of throwing an exception. I believe
> > it should throw an exception if the validator file is invalid. Are there
> > any thoughts or objections to throwing an exception, is that too
> > incompatable  with its current behaviour ?
>
> I agree that we should throw the exception.  IMO, it should fail fast and
> loud at startup if you've misconfigured the validations.

+1 - this is always better than the occasional "GRRRR!!.....Why the F##K
isn't my validation working?!?!?!" feelings.

> David

James Mitchell
Software Developer / Open Source Evangelist
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: Validator Plugin

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Wow. I don't know what happened to my previous message. What showed up
wasn't anything like what I sent, so I'm sending again (using a different
mail client). See below.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, David Graham wrote:

> --- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Currently the Validator PlugIn doesn’t validate the XML file. I have
> > updated it to remove the deprecated methods and to validate the XML
> > files.
> >
> > Here is the question: Currently, the validator plugin fails by logging a
> > message but doesn’t take advantage of throwing an exception. I believe
> > it should throw an exception if the validator file is invalid. Are there
> > any thoughts or objections to throwing an exception, is that too
> > incompatable  with its current behaviour ?
>
> I agree that we should throw the exception.  IMO, it should fail fast and
> loud at startup if you've misconfigured the validations.

I know this change has been checked in already, but wanted to add my +1
anyway. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

RE: Validator Plugin