Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/13 10:11:52 UTC

New project proposal

Hello,

I'm the project leader of an open-source project called jSpirit.

The goal of the project is to create an open-source platform to develop
efficiently enterprise class lightweight J2EE application for SaaS with
Multi-tenant support. The code is available here
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jspirit/). The platform focuses on the
technical aspect of SaaS and Multi-tenant.

I would my project to pretend becoming an Apache Incubator project, and
I need help to do this. I think this kind of platform could interest a
large community. The goals are to provide open-source application stack
(focuses on apache project), tools to develop efficiently, an
architectural model for enterprise class application, methods for
project management, and an integration framework for "rescuing"
application developper from J2EE and multi-tenant complexity.

The project is already used by a french company as a foundation of her
ERP (Husson Ingenierie, http://husson-info.fr), it's the base of the
community yet. I want to develop my professionnal activity around this
project, so it's perennial project, I think.

Is there anyone intersted by this project ?

Best Regards,

--
Grégoire Rolland
Projet *jSpirit*

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

I would thank you for the time you spend for this.

The code base is not really documented, and will evolve in the future,
and I hope with the support of a community.

If you need some explications, I were happy to answer.

Regards,

Grégoire

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com>.
All functionalities which are not marked as [Planned] are implemented.
The project lack of documentation now, sorry. But it's a priority.

The project begins in September 2008 for a Software Editor to build a
Multi-tenant SaaS ERP. The code is open-source since March 2010.

I'm the unique developer until March 2010, there is one other commiter
since April 2010.

Grégoire

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Grégoire Rolland <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Otis,

Thanks for your feedback. I think it's effectively a good question ,
what is realy SaaS ? I think, but it's just my opinion, that's just a
software distribution business model for editors. So I think you never
found SaaS specific functionality in any framework.

For me, the real question is what do you need to develop SaaS
application ? and that's the goals of jspirit to give some answers.

For me needed functionalitiy are clearly Multi-tenancy implementation
with maximum flexibility, distributed model and clusterisable
architecture to support the need of high-avaiilibility and scalability
of SaaS applications.
Saas need fast response to evolution need, it's the goal of jspirit
programming model and architecture.
In my opinion, we have to focus on functionality to made SaaS in this
project and not on SaaS-functionality.

We try in this project to integrate full open-source application stack
to help anyone who wants make SaaS so there is generic functionality., i
think it's normal. The goal is to make a coherent integration framework
with to let developer focus on business code.

So I think we should name jSpirit "integration framework for creating
web multi-tenant application".

I will make a translate of the slides in the next day, perhaps it will
be more clear for all.

Grégoire

Re: New project proposal

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.