Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/15 14:51:27 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 problems enabling SSL on Windows service version

I have Tomcat 5.5 installed as both a Windows service version and as the
standard deployment version (non Windows service - starts up with
startup.bat).  I purchased and installed an SSL certificate from Verisign.
I modified the server.xml to enable the SSL connector.  I have two different
versions of server.xml:  one uses ports 8080 and 8443 for http and https,
the other version uses 80 and 443.  On the Tomcat machine, I tried to
connect to the https: version of my webapps.  I can connect to my webapps on
the standard (non-service) version of Tomcat with either server.xml and
either set of ports, so I know that 80, 443, 8080, and 8443 are all good.
On the service version of Tomcat, the non-SSL (http:) ports 80 and 8080 are
good, but I can not connect to either 443 or 8443 via https.  I've tried
copying the entire \conf folder from the non-service version to the service
version of Tomcat, and still no connection.  The browser simply times out
waiting for the connection.  Nothing is showing up in the log files at all,
so it looks like Tomcat is not seeing these connections at all.

Platform:
Windows Server 2003
Tomcat 5.5.20 (service version) / Tomcat 5.5.16 (non-service version)
jdk1.5.0_08

I'm including my 2 server.xml files, but these can't be the problem, since
both of them work on the non-service version, and neither of them work on
the Windows service version.  Any clues as to where else I should look?

Many thanks,
David

======================================
server.xml (intended for non-service version of Tomcat)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Server port="8105" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"/>
  <Listener className="
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"/>
  <Listener className="
org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"/>
  <GlobalNamingResources>
        <Environment name="isProduction" type="java.lang.Boolean"
value="FALSE"/>
    <Environment name="productionMode" type="java.lang.String"
value="TEST"/>
    <Resource auth="Container" description="User database that can be
updated and saved" factory="
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory" name="UserDatabase"
pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>
    <Resource auth="Container" driverClassName="
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver" maxActive="30" maxIdle="2"
maxWait="5000" name="jdbc/xxxx" password="xxxx" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
url="jdbc:as400://abc.def.com" username="xxxx"/>
    <Resource auth="Container" driverClassName="
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver" maxActive="30" maxIdle="2"
maxWait="5000" name="jdbc/xxx" password="xx" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
url="jdbc:as400://ghi.jkl.com" username="xx"/>
    <Resource auth="Container" driverClassName="
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver" maxActive="30" maxIdle="2"
maxWait="5000" name="jdbc/xxxx" password="xxx" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
url="jdbc:as400://mno.pqr.com" username="JPxxxGMR"/>
  </GlobalNamingResources>
  <Service
      name="Catalina">
    <Connector
        port="8080"
        redirectPort="8443"
        minSpareThreads="25"
        connectionTimeout="20000"
        maxThreads="150"
        maxSpareThreads="75"
        maxHttpHeaderSize="8192">
    </Connector>
    <Connector
        port="8009"
        redirectPort="8443"
        protocol="AJP/1.3">
    </Connector>
        <Connector
            port="8443"
            maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
            maxThreads="150"
            minSpareThreads="25"
            maxSpareThreads="75"
            enableLookups="false"
            disableUploadTimeout="true"
            acceptCount="100"
            scheme="https"
            secure="true"
            clientAuth="false"
            sslProtocol="TLS"
            keystoreFile="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\.keystore"
    />
    <Engine
        defaultHost="localhost"
        name="Catalina">
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"/>
      <Host
          appBase="webapps"
          name="localhost"
          autoDeploy="true"
          liveDeploy="true"
          unpackWARs="true">
        <Context path="" reloadable="true">
        </Context>
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

====================
server.xml (intended for Windows service version)

[...]
        redirectPort="443"
        minSpareThreads="25"
        connectionTimeout="20000"
        maxThreads="150"
        maxSpareThreads="75"
        maxHttpHeaderSize="8192">
    </Connector>
    <Connector
        port="8109"
        redirectPort="443"
        protocol="AJP/1.3">
    </Connector>
        <Connector
            port="443"

Re: Tomcat 5.5 problems enabling SSL on Windows service version

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.
Markus,

Thanks for the info on APR.  I'll try configuring that properly, or if that
fails, to let it fall back to the base connector.

And apologies for the inappropriate CC.  List newbie.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.

David Uctaa wrote:
> I tried changing the service to log on with my credentials, and still no
> go.  However, if there were a problems such as you described, then
> shouldn't there be an exception thrown somewhere that I should be able to
> find?  The SSL service started up without a problem:
>
> Nov 15, 2006 9:44:38 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443

In this case the APR connector is used. It's SSL configuration is done in a

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.
I tried changing the service to log on with my credentials, and still no
go.  However, if there were a problems such as you described, then shouldn't
there be an exception thrown somewhere that I should be able to find?  The
SSL service started up without a problem:

Nov 15, 2006 9:44:38 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-443

and after the browser timeouts, nothing shows up in any of the logs
indicating that there was a problem with the keystore file...

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
David Uctaa wrote:
> :)  Thanks for the assistance.  I'm hip-deep in APR configuration info now.

Have fun! ;-)

Regards
  mks

Re: Tomcat 5.5 problems enabling SSL on Windows service version

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.
Yup, it's the APR connector.  I'm going to try changing the configuration to
handle that properly, or if that fails, to let it fall back to the base
connector.

Thanks,
David

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: David Uctaa [mailto:ductaa@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 problems enabling SSL on Windows
> service version
>
> Do you think it possible that this is a problem that
> upgrading the service version to 5.5.20 would help
> resolve?

Probably not.  But - did you install the APR connector (tcnative-1.dll)?
If so, the SSL config is different than for the standard connector.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat 5.5 problems enabling SSL on Windows service version

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.
Do you think it possible that this is a problem that upgrading the service
version to 5.5.20 would help resolve?  The service version is 5.5.16 and the
non-service version is 5.5.20.  That seems like a really far stretch to me.

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
David Uctaa wrote:
> According to Windows, the "Group or User Names" assigned to .keystore are:
>
> Administrators
> Power Users
> SYSTEM
> TERMINAL SERVER USER
> Users
>
> Tomcat's logon properties are:
>
> Log on as:
>
> Local System Account (Allow service to interact with desktop is *not*
> checked)

LOCAL SYSTEM is a different account than SYSTEM. And the former doesn't seem

Posted by David Uctaa <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.