Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leigh Wanstead <le...@softtech.co.nz> on 2001/07/27 04:34:35 UTC

tomcat try to connect sun's website

Version: JBoss 2.2.2 & Tomcat 3.2.2
JDK: 1.3.1

I found that Tomcat tried to connect to sun's website. Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Leigh

Re: tomcat try to connect sun's website

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Leigh Wanstead at leigh@softtech.co.nz wrote:

> Connection around 2M bytes/second.
>
> I found this by Internet broke down, and JBoss seems start up tried to
> connect sun's website. I reverse back both one version JBoss 2.2.1 & Tomcat
> 3.2.1, and everything work fine, my colleague tried JBoss with Jetty, still
> fine. So I guess that Tomcat is the cause.
>
> Because now internet is working, so I can not duplicate the situation.

Could it be just a DNS query? Or is it more likely a TCP connection?

    Pier

RE: tomcat try to connect sun's website

> I found that Tomcat tried to connect to sun's website. Anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.

???? What kind of connection? Got any record of anything?

    Pier

Re: tomcat try to connect sun's website

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Gregor =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kova�?= <gr...@mikropis.si>.
Hi!

I got the same problem while working with NetBeans. NEtBeans uses XML a lot
and also had DTD references to other sites on the Internet. Every time I
wanted to start NetBeans up it wanted to connect to some internet site.
You are probably using IBM's JDK, right?
Just rename or delete %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext directory. It worked for me.
IBM's JDK has an XML parser integrated into JDK and this parser is the
problem.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
         Kovi

Posted by Gregor =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kova�?= <gr...@mikropis.si>.
Hi!

At 16:10 27.7.01 +1200, you wrote:
>Thanks for your hint.
>
>I checked my web.xml inside war file, and found that token. I changed
>that to some other not existing address. And JBoss deploy that ear error.
>I can not simulate internet down.

You can. Just unplug your network cable :))

Best regards,
         Kovi

Re: tomcat try to connect sun's website

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Pier,

I'm not quite sure I understand your query.  Leigh's first query was
asking why Tomcat is trying to connect to Sun.  As you say, its because
the web.xml DOCTYPE uses a PUBLIC reference (as opposed to a SYSTEM
ref).  So Tomcat (or more specifically the XML parser) is connecting to
Sun to get the DTD?

I suppose what you're asking is more focussed on the PUBLIC ID... all that
is (as I understand it) is a key for a cache of DTDs.  So the first time
the parser needs the DTD it connects to the system location of the dtd and
downloads it...

am I dribbling on for no good reason (o:  From what you said you seemed to
have a pretty good grasp on it... anyway,

cheesr
dim

Posted by leigh <le...@softtech.co.nz>.
Thanks for your hint.

I checked my web.xml inside war file, and found that token. I changed
that to some other not existing address. And JBoss deploy that ear error.
I can not simulate internet down. But by this way, I learn something
which I should backup.

Best Regards
Leigh

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.