Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Radim Burget <Ra...@seznam.cz> on 2005/09/06 23:29:21 UTC

performance question

It is probably realy stupid question but I can't help.....

I am quite new to java and java related stafs. As I read Java is in
general assumed to be high-performanance against technologies like PHP.

Now I am trying to write simple application in Tapestry with "List of
items" and "details"pages. I am surprised that clicking on each link
takes second or more (PIV 26000MHz, RAM 512MB)  (true - with
recompilation forced)

In PHP similar think responses almost immediately....

Is the performance difference affected only by recompilation? It seems
to me to be PHP faster even if I turn forcing of recompilation off....

Thanks in advance.

RE: performance question

Posted by Karthik Abram <ka...@neovera.com>.
Have you considered writing your app in assembly? It is faster than PHP or
Java. Its also very compact and esoteric.

Re: performance question

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair -- PHP will outstrip Java on the
first request for sure, but a Tapestry + OR app with some decent
caching should be able to outshine PHP by a factor of 2x or more,
even on individual requests.

Pat is completely correct, though: it's about the right tool for the
job, and Java takes much more up-front investment in infrastructure
in exchange the benefits of scalability and maintainability.

Cheers,

Paul

RE: performance question

Posted by Karthik Abram <ka...@neovera.com>.
Grrr... I have to cancel that order for Blue Gene/L that I was planning to
run my Tapestry based contact list!

RE: performance question

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.