Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 20:45:14 UTC

[naming] Enable Remote JNDI Access

Hey all,
I would like to use directory-naming in my application but I need to enable
remote access to the in-memory JNDI provided by directory-naming. It would
be great to have a user have a PROVIDER_URL of jndi://host:port and get a
reference to the JNDI provided on the server by directory-naming. Can
someone assist me with this?

Take care,
Jeremy

Re: [naming] Enable Remote JNDI Access

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Whitlock wrote:

> Phil,
> I want to use ApacheDS but it does not store binary data right now due
> to a bug and its not scheduled to be fixed for a few weeks. Basically,
> I want to have a lightweight directory for storing MBean/References in
> the directory so that I can use JNDI to get to them easily. This
> approach is similar to what Geronimo does with it's MBeans and what
> Weblogic does with it's MBeans. That being said, I do know that
> ApacheDS is the directory used in Geronimo so I don't know why it
> would work for them but not for me but that is the information I got
> from #directory-dev on freenode, the same people that told me to
> contact you. Ideally, I would like to have the lightweight provider in
> [naming] but have it networkable. It would be nice not to have the
> overhead of LDAP but I can go that route if needed. Thanks for getting
> back to me and for sharing your ideas.

Jeremy,

I think there is a confusion, Directory is embedded into Geronimo only
for authentication matters as a service.
AFAIK it does nothing else but implements the server lifecycle
start/stop and access to it is done via the ldap login module

The jndi provider used in Geronimo to bind objects (just like tomcat,
the famous environment context java:comp/env ) is a different beast.
It is the 'naming' module (in Geronimo, not in Directory) and uses RMI
for remote access.
It might not be a good option for you to take this code as well because
it depends on a couple of classes on the Geronimo Kernel and Service
modules.

my 0.02€

Stephane

Re: [naming] Enable Remote JNDI Access