Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/19 11:04:24 UTC

Optimization /Commit memory

Do we require  2 or 3 Times OS RAM memory or  Hard Disk Space while
performing Commit or Optimize or Both?

what is the requirement in terms of  size of RAM and HD for commit and
Optimize

Regards
Sujatha

Re: Optimization /Commit memory

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Simon and Jay .That was helpful .

So what we are looking at  during optimize is  2 or 3 times free Disk Space
to recreate the index.

Regards
Sujatha

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks that helps.

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
Well, since the OS RAM includes the JVM RAM, that is part of your requirement, yes?  Aside from the JVM and normal OS requirements, all you need OS RAM for is file caching.  Thus, for updates, the OS RAM is not a major factor.  For searches, you want sufficient OS RAM to cache enough of the index to get the query performance you need, and to cache queries inside the JVM if you get a lot of repeat queries (see solrconfig.xml for the various caches: we have not played with them much).  So, the amount of RAM necessary for that is very much dependent upon the size of your index, so I cannot give you a simple number.

You seem to believe that you have to have sufficient memory to have the entire index in memory.  Except where extremely high performance is required, I have not found that to be the case.

This is just one of those "your mileage may vary" things.  There is not a single answer or formula that fits every situation.

JRJ

Posted by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Jay ,