Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by r fx <rf...@stackr.uk> on 2017/05/25 20:29:19 UTC

VSAN support today

Fellow users,

I have seen Sateesh's slides from ApacheCon but I did not see the demo.  What support for VMware VSAN exists today?  Is this alpha quality or perhaps something more usable?  What does Sateesh mean when he says "only unmanaged" storage is an option - what restrictions does this put on usage?  Is it possible to run a cluster with only VSAN storage or do we need some traditional datastores too?

Thanks,

rfx.

Re: VSAN support today

Posted by r fx <rf...@stackr.uk>.
Thanks for the reply, Sateesh, and thanks for your work!  I have some additional questions:

- Is your demo (the slides say there is a demo :) from ApacheCon available for replay anywhere on the Internet?

- Will your work enable support for VSAN 5.5 as well as 6.x?

- If the merge takes longer than you think, are you able to offer your work directly to those who want to do some advance testing of this?

- What are the longer terms plans on turning this into managed storage?  Is it possible and "just" needs coding, or is there a technical showstopper here?

Thanks!

rfx.

---- On Fri, 26 May 2017 04:35:44 +0200 Sateesh Chodapuneedi &lt;sateesh.chodapuneedi@accelerite.com&gt; wrote ----

Hi,

I’ve been working on adding VSAN support for CloudStack. It’s currently in final stages of testing, after which I’ll be raising a PR for merge into master branch. Expecting it by next week.

This support means, VSAN datastore would be supported as full fledged primary storage in CloudStack, without requiring any traditional datastores at all. Yes, its possible to run a cluster with only VSAN.

The “unmanaged storage”, indicates that CloudStack would *not* be managing storage backend (to create/delete a LUN on VSAN) corresponding to each volume on VSAN storage system.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Regards,

Sateesh

On 26/05/17, 1:59 AM, "r fx" &lt;rfx@stackr.uk&gt; wrote:

 Fellow users,

 I have seen Sateesh's slides from ApacheCon but I did not see the demo. What support for VMware VSAN exists today? Is this alpha quality or perhaps something more usable? What does Sateesh mean when he says "only unmanaged" storage is an option - what restrictions does this put on usage? Is it possible to run a cluster with only VSAN storage or do we need some traditional datastores too?

 Thanks,

 rfx.

DISCLAIMER

This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: VSAN support today

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Sateesh,
Could I use vSAN as a "VMFS" primary storage in CS 4.9.2 ?
What's new about your PR for adding support of VSAN?
Regards

Re: VSAN support today