Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrey Smirnov <an...@andreysmirnov.com> on 2022/08/16 17:42:18 UTC

system vms

Hi,

Could anyone help with this question?

Which IP address space should be used for system VMs for a zone -- I
cannot find any documentation related to storage VMs networking, they
start with two sets of IP addresses -- private and not private -- but I
cannot find any references -- how Cloudstack decides which IP network to
use for what and what kind of communications is expected between
storage/console VMs, management servers and KVM hosts.

Sincerely

Andrey

Re: system vms

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
a very crude answer Andrey,
An SSVM needs access to the management network, the storage network and to
the (public) internet.

--
Daan

Re: system vms

Posted by "Vash_X@gmx.de" <Va...@gmx.de>.
@Andrey

I don't know if came around the following blockposts:
https://www.shapeblue.com/a-beginners-guide-to-cloudstack-networking/
https://www.shapeblue.com/understanding-cloudstacks-physical-networking-architecture/

They are quite helpfull for understanding what all the different traffic
types are and how things are working together in that regards.

It's true that when starting the topic the flexibility of CS in regards of
physical networks can be a bit troublesome.
You also will have to keep in mind the logical separation of traffic
(Management-, Guest-, Public-, Storagetraffic) from IP-Networks.
On the other hand it really makes things flexible in many ways.

RE: system vms