Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jeff Payne <je...@eyealike.com> on 2008/08/25 18:51:28 UTC

XML Based NameNode / TaskTracker Status

Greetings:

We wrote a Flex based monitoring tool for our various stuff (so we can see
our DFS usage / free space as a lovely pie chart, etc) and it would be very
handy for us if the web based status info you get from dfshealth.jsp and
jobtracker.jsp could dump the same info out as XML.  Right now we're just
screen scraping these pages, which is a "bit" of a hack.

I'd be happy to code this up and submit a patch, but a little guidance on
how you'd prefer to see it done would be helpful.  For example, would it be
best to abstract out some of the stuff in JSPHelper into something more
generic?  Would you prefer a servlet that builds a DOM document and dumps it
or would be okay to just create a JSP that renders XML instead of HTML?

Respectfully Submitted,

--
Jeffrey Payne
Lead Software Engineer

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
-H. Lifter