Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Sheriffo Ceesay <sn...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/21 16:42:11 UTC

Final Report

All,

My draft final report is available at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GORA/Final+Report%3A+%5BGORA-532%5D+Benchmark+Module+For+Apache+Gora

We have until 26th of this month submit the report. Please let me know if
you have any comments to improve it.

Meanwhile, I will work on the documentation on how to run the benchmark
module and publish on gora website.

Thank you.

**Sheriffo Ceesay**

Re: Final Report

Posted by Sheriffo Ceesay <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Renato,

See replies inline.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 5:52 PM Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <
renatoj.marroquin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Sheriffo,
>
> Thanks for the report and all the work!
> Gora performing worst when inserting data in the HBase case I think it
> can make sense, because Gora still needs to serialize every data bean
> through Avro, (maybe some caching? but Sheriffo also deactivated this
> with gora.hbasestore.hbase.client.autoflush.enabled=true) so I guess
> the rest of the time it is just Gora serialization.

I agree with you.

> Now for the reads in HBase-native and HBase-Gora, are we sure we are
> getting the same granularity of objects? I mean because of the mapping
> Gora does (different column families per attribute), maybe we are
> fetching the attributes in a different way than HBase is doing, maybe
> Gora fetches only some column families whereas HBase fetches
> everything.

I have done some basic test to verify this see the testUpdate() method in
the GoraClientTest file. Here, I insert some strings retrieve them and
verify that they match the expected value.

Did you run any correctness tests to know that we are retrieving the
> correct results in both cases? Something like inserting an integer as
> part of the attributes, and then summing them when retrieved to check
> that the sum is what we expect.

Thanks for this, I have added a new test case called testCorrectness() to
handle the issue you have raised. The results I got are consistent with we
are expecting.

Re: Final Report

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sheriffo,