Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Juergen Mayrbaeurl <ju...@hvb.sozvers.at> on 2006/04/28 23:44:20 UTC

Getting messages from flat files on the bus

Unfortunately we have very often the problem to get 'flat file' based data
into our applications or business services. Therefore the flat file based
data gets converted to XML in a first step. That's not easy, as you'll know.
Some weeks ago, I've found a very nice component called ServingXML
(http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/).

Description of ServingXML from its website:
ServingXML is a markup language for expressing XML pipelines, and an
extensible Java framework for defining the elements of the language. It
defines a vocabulary for expressing flat-XML, XML-flat, flat-flat, and
XML-XML transformations in pipelines. ServingXML currently comes with a
console app, and also documents an API for imbedding the software in a
standard Java or J2EE application.

ServingXML supports reading content as XML files, flat files, SQL queries or
dynamically generated SAX events, transforming it with XSLT stylesheets and
custom SAX filters, and writing it as XML, HTML, PDF or mail attachments.
This software is especially suited for converting flat file or database
records to XML, with its support for namespaces, variant record types,
multi-valued fields, segments and repeating groups, hierarchical grouping of
records, and record-by-record validation with XML Schema.

ServingXML works as an "inversion of control" container for assembling
components from a variety of projects - Apache FOP, Sun MSV and others - and
making them work together to process records and XML.

Since I'm convinced that this kind of functionality could help us and all
the ServiceMix users in integration projects, I've sent a feature request to
the project admin of ServingXML. He told me, that he will adress this with
the summer release
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1476015&group_id=95689&atid=612285).

If you interested, too, please support this feature request.

Thanks
Juergen
Sent from the ServiceMix - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Getting messages from flat files on the bus

Posted by Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com>.
This definitely looks like a good candidate for a ServiceMix Service Engine
:)

Posted by Peter Klotz <pe...@blue-elephant-systems.com>.

Also consider openadaptor (www.openadaptor.org)
this can read CSV, flat files, record formats and has strengths in areas where
SM is still weaker. We use it in combination with SM.
Especially the new release oa3 also uses Spring component model and
xbean-configuration files as well.

Peter

Re: Getting messages from flat files on the bus

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/29/06, mbinck <mb...@abprodata.com> wrote:

> Have a look at C24 Integration objects (http://www.c24.biz/c24io_open.htm).
> It may be overkill for simple flat files, but once your structures become a
> little bit more complex, the tools is great. We use it to handle financial
> messaging like SWIFT, EMX or NSCC.
> This would be another candidate for a service engine.

These frameworks are very similar to JAXB2, XMLBeans, Castor, etc.,
etc. There's no reason to limit the integration to any one of these so
I'd like to see the general concept of the BC or SE (whatever is
determined to be the correct approach) abstracted enough to be able to
plug in whatever data binding framework someone prefers.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: Getting messages from flat files on the bus