Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/02 20:57:32 UTC

HBase and Consistency in CAP

Why is HBase consisdered high in consistency and that it gives up
parition tolerance? My understanding is that failure of one data node
still doesn't impact client as they would re-adjust the list of
available data nodes.

Re: HBase and Consistency in CAP

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
You may also be interested in this article by my colleague Henry:
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2010/04/cap-confusion-problems-with-partition-tolerance/

The short summary of the article is that CAP isn't "C, A, or P, choose
two," but rather "When P happens, choose A or C."

Partitions, like death and taxes, are unavoidable -- think of machine
death as just a partition of that machine out into the networking
equivalent of the afterlife. So it's up to the system designer to
decide if, when that happens, we give up availability or give up
consistency.

In HBase's case we choose consistency, so we have to give up some availability.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera