Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2001/08/09 11:53:45 UTC

Re: SVG size in PDF/FOP

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:01:49 Jean-Michel Biollaz (pb) wrote:
> in FOP doc we can see : "It is also possible to specify the width and/or
> height of the PDF document. Currently the SVG image is simply scaled in
> PDF
> so the result my not be the best possible"
> How can we avoid the scaling of the SVG image in the PDF document ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel,

I'm sorry I don't think I was clear enough.

The statement you are quoting is about using the PDFTranscoder mechanism in
conjunction with batik. This can be called on the command line through
batik as stated. The setting of the width and/or height is talking about
setting the values on the command line with -w and -h (or using the
transcoder hints if you are using the transcoder api).

When these values are set on the command line it will output a pdf document
according to the size you set. In other transcoders it creates a png etc.
that is also a different size. With pdf it renders the svg file as normal
(at whatever size the svg itself is specified) and it the specifies
(logically this comes first) a transformation matrix in the pdf that will
display the pdf (on a page) at the size you specified.

So if there are things in the svg that behave differently or don't do what
they should in these circumstances the result won't be what you want. eg.
external jpg,png etc, or filter effects.
That is why it says "may" (ok I can't spell).

For example if you make the size larger than the original svg size and
there are effects in the svg. These effects will be rendered at the
original size of the svg and then when you are viewing it through the pdf
viewer it will be grainy.

Normal lines, rects, text and other shapes or vector drawings are not
effected.

If anyone wants to fix this then feel free.

Keiron.