Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "PENIN Guillaume (VFE)" <Gu...@sncf.fr> on 2007/11/13 09:55:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Many errors with mod-proxy

Hi all,

I receive at least one error per second from mod-proxy : "proxy recv
body from upstream server timed out".

Can you explain me what does this error mean ?

Configuration : Apache 1.3.27

Thanks.

Guillaume PENIN

Re: [users@httpd] Many errors with mod-proxy

Posted by Christian Folini <ch...@post.ch>.
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 09:55:31AM +0100, PENIN Guillaume (VFE) wrote:
> I receive at least one error per second from mod-proxy : "proxy recv
> body from upstream server timed out".
>
> Can you explain me what does this error mean ?

> Configuration : Apache 1.3.27

I am not sure about the details, but basically, it means
something along the following:
The connection of the proxy server to the upstream server
(your backend behind the proxy) timed out before the
the response body has been recieved.

This could be a slow backend or a bad timeout setting
on your proxy. But before you do anything: Update your
apache! This is a very old and broken version.
It's likely the problem goes away after an upgrade
to apache 2.2, which solves a proxy timeout issue.

regs,

Christian

[users@httpd] Mod-proxy

Posted by "PENIN Guillaume (VFE)" <Gu...@sncf.fr>.
Hi all,

With mod-proxy, one connection is established when we have one client
request (many TIMEWAIT sockets when we have many clients).

Squid, only establishes for example 20 connections to the backend
servers. These connections are kept (ESTABLISHED) to the backend
servers, so that all client requests pass through them.

Is it possible, with apache mod-proxy, to have the same behaviour?

Regards,

Guillaume PENIN