Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by SANGAMESHWAR ALLADI <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/12 06:54:16 UTC

how to intimate the user when his session invalidation occurs in form based authentication

*Scenario :*

I have developed a state full web application using form based Container
managed security of Tomcat 5.5.20. In this web application state of user is
maintained by container itself.

My web application consists of only JSP pages grouped into folder each
having index.jsp as default page and the access to it is protected by
Container using form based authentication. So when ever a request goes to
server, it sends a login page for the authentication.

The index page consists of two frames. One having the menu of this
application and other having the content of the menu item selected. Actual
problem occurs when the user clicks in the menu frame after session is
invalidated then the user is getting the login page in the content frame.

*How can I intimate the user about his session invalidation? *

And also

Some times I am getting *408 / 409(these two status code are coming in IE)
or connection reset (in Mozilla)* error when the login times out when he
enters the user id and password in the login page. I am handling status code
408 (login time out) error by using error page tag of web.xml. Then also it
is unable to send error handling page for some requests.

thanks in advance,

From,

Sangameshwar.A

Re: how to intimate the user when his session invalidation occurs in form based authentication

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
Hi SANGAMESHWAR,
I also had no luck with using error page tags in tomcat, they dont work.
I really think you should have a separate login page, and then let the users
navigate to frames etc.
The only way I could get an tailor made error page to display properly was
by using programmitic security in a servlet.. good luck