Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jochen Kuhnle <jo...@kuhnle.net> on 2007/07/03 11:52:12 UTC

Proposal: MNG-2521 Cross Module Mojo Inheritance

Hi,

here's the second one:

With the current Mojo descriptor extractor, it is possible to inherit
Mojo annotations from parent classes, but not across projects. With
this, it is e.g. not possible to subclass a "built-in" Maven mojo and
inherit the annotations, or to refactor common Mojo code into a
separate "Base Mojo" project, because the subclass lives in a different
project. Since the annotation inheritance also only looks at parent
classes, it is not possible to have annotated Mojo interfaces, e.g. for
a Compiler which has different implementations.

To allow this, it should be possible to specify a list of prototypes
for a Mojo. The descriptor extractor would then load the descriptors of
these prototypes (from the plugin.xml) and merge them into a base
descriptor for the Mojo, allowing it to inherit the annotations.

Example with MNG-2521 annotations:

@Goal(goal = "clustered")
public interface ClusteredMojo {
	@MojoParameter
	private void setClusterController(String controller) {
		//...
	}
}

@Goal(goal = "compile", prototypes =
{@Prototype(groupId="org.apache.maven.plugin",
artifactId="maven-compiler-plugin", goal="compile"),
@Prototype(goal="clustered")} )
public class MyCompilerMojo extends CompilerMojo implements ClusteredMojo {
	// ...
}

For convenience, the groupId and artifactId default to the current
project's values, and the goal to the current annotation's goal.

For this to work, the descriptor extractors should also create
descriptors for annotated interfaces and abstract classes. These should
be written into the plugin.xml and filtered out by the
PluginDiscoverer, so they cannot be accessed normally.

Regards,
Jochen

Re: Proposal: MNG-2521 Cross Module Mojo Inheritance

Posted by Jochen Kuhnle <jo...@kuhnle.net>.
On 2007-07-04 03:02:29 +0200, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> said:

> On 04/07/2007, at 5:21 AM, Eric Redmond wrote:
>
>> Post-compilation annotation extraction actually handles this case.
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2521

MNG-2521 takes care of it partially. Since at runtime, missing
annotation properties are initialized with the default value, it is
impossible to decide if a property was overwritten. To get around that,
MNG-2521 would have specify special proeprty values for "inherit from
SuperMojo".

> That sounds much better than requiring additional annotations.

For the default case, you wouldn't need any. Currently we assume that
there is only one Mojo descriptor per Mojo class, since the current
extractors work this way. Another proposal I made adresses this, or I
can write a descriptor manually. When there are two descriptors for a
parent class, we need an additional annotation for the descriptor we
want to use as prototype.

Regards,
Jochen

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
Post-compilation annotation extraction actually handles this case.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2521

Eric

On 7/3/07, Jochen Kuhnle <jochen@kuhnle.net > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here's the second one:
>
> With the current Mojo descriptor extractor, it is possible to inherit
> Mojo annotations from parent classes, but not across projects. With
> this, it is e.g. not possible to subclass a "built-in" Maven mojo and
> inherit the annotations, or to refactor common Mojo code into a
> separate "Base Mojo" project, because the subclass lives in a different
> project. Since the annotation inheritance also only looks at parent
> classes, it is not possible to have annotated Mojo interfaces, e.g. for
> a Compiler which has different implementations.
>
> To allow this, it should be possible to specify a list of prototypes
> for a Mojo. The descriptor extractor would then load the descriptors of
> these prototypes (from the plugin.xml) and merge them into a base
> descriptor for the Mojo, allowing it to inherit the annotations.
>
> Example with MNG-2521 annotations:
>
> @Goal(goal = "clustered")
> public interface ClusteredMojo {
>         @MojoParameter
>         private void setClusterController(String controller) {
>                 //...
>         }
> }
>
> @Goal(goal = "compile", prototypes =
> {@Prototype(groupId="org.apache.maven.plugin ",
> artifactId="maven-compiler-plugin", goal="compile"),
> @Prototype(goal="clustered")} )
> public class MyCompilerMojo extends CompilerMojo implements ClusteredMojo
> {
>         // ...
> }
>
> For convenience, the groupId and artifactId default to the current
> project's values, and the goal to the current annotation's goal.
>
> For this to work, the descriptor extractors should also create
> descriptors for annotated interfaces and abstract classes. These should
> be written into the plugin.xml and filtered out by the
> PluginDiscoverer, so they cannot be accessed normally.
>
> Regards,
> Jochen

Eric Redmond
http://www.sonatype.com