Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/18 18:49:35 UTC

Bugzilla

Hi,

Maybe this has been discussed already.
But how about setting up some volunteer process from support request to bug
report.

Instead of having people write wildly in our tech tracker we organize or
search the forum for bugs.
I think it might lead to more satisfaction for every one if we setup a
"support" process.
Maybe we can setup some tools to make the transition from a support thread
into a bug really easy for a supporter who is a while with us

I don't know I feel like we close 3 support requst for 1 issue. And I
wonder if we can setup a better strategy.

It is a general idea. Nothing that we can nor should do quickly and hasty.

What's your thought on this?

All the best
Peter
--

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.
I can give it a try (please bear in mind I read here out of curiosity, I'm
not a developer).

Bugzilla

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
While security and releases are important, they are not the only issue that is going on.
Because I have some build issues I try to bridge my time to work on issue tracking from time to time.
Most of them we close down.
Imagine you bought Openoffice for 3 £ and something not working.
You wasted money and time. Maybe one or 2 days you bug around without any knowledge.
For some reason you end up in Bugzilla. Where your user issue gets closed with the reasoning "not an issue"
If you are not to frustrated you will see the hint pointer to our dev list, and forums. Still this excuse did cost us transparency and resources.

Where does security or releases play a role in this?
What is the solution to this?

Maybe this perspective gives again another reason why I started the Bugzilla Thread.
However the List got stuck quickly with other problems which seem to be more interesting / important to the dev community.
Even this point might be seem minor to some, I think we can work on a solution and improve the process. (And enjoy a small improvement)
Releases and security will stay hot topics for a while.
I don't see which steps can be done to improve the situation for security and releases. You said you need another week until 4.1.4 has reached maturity for release.
Security I have brought up (in an awkward way) and it's beeing now discussed by people in charge, how this can be processed.

I hope this helps.
Peter

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.
About the locate (from the wayback machine):
https://web.archive.org/web/20040610062016/http://projects.openoffice.org:80/accepted.html

About the convince:
IMHO a personal meeting with a German volunteer is best.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Am .05.2017, 19:15 Uhr, schrieb Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>:

> Le 20/05/2017 à 18:07, Raphael Bircher a écrit :
>> But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back
>> (normally). SUN and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not
>> attractive for Companies at the moment. There is no room to make money.
>> We should start getting attractive for companies.
>
> The only one I would see is Canonical. But i still don't understand why
> they chose LibO.
> What other company would invest money in a MS Office competitor???
> In addition to the investment in the development (meaning manpower cost
> but also the time needed to get the equivalent features they already
> have in MS Office), there would also be the training of the users, the
> migration of the existing tools and files (especially macros) and the
> problem of the format interoperability with the people this company
> deals with.
> That's too much for companies to think about it IMHO. Or perhaps Google
> but what for?

The main problem is, that we have no good reason to invest in OpenOffice.
Since years, we just run behind MS Office. But we never get beyond a good
copy of MS Office. License cost free is not a feature. The only benefit
OpenOffice offers, is that it runs on 3 Operating system with the same
code. this gives a base line in the program witch MS O lakes. We avoid a
load of compatibility issue with this.

> Is there any company that invests substantially in LibO BTW (just a
> question, I really don't know)?
> When I see all the migrations (mostly to LibO because it's much more
> dynamic and they are good at marketing their project), I just see bodies
> (often administrations) who want to cut costs but without major
> investment, they just take it because it serves their cause but I doubt
> there is any will to go further for them (I mean dedicate manpower to
> help the project).

That was a big mistake of the old OpenOffice Marketing. They promote
mostly the cost freeness. And they promote that you can save the License
expense. On the first look, this is true, but on the second view id didn't
work at all. With Open Source you save no license cost, because you need
the money to bring the project forward.

For my point of view, saving money is a bad reason to use Open Source.

> I thought when OOo was given to Apache that the licensing would give
> interest to the project for companies but it did not happen at all. Less
> restrictive licensing attracts most of the devs. This is part of the
> world evolution today I guess: people want more free sharing, or at
> least want to avoid that their code can be used for commercial when they
> give it for free.

The license only don't generate commercial interest. It needs an
interesting Project for company, and it looks, we are not at the moment.
At the moment, the OpenOffice Project don't give companies the opportunity
to make money.

This will probably change as sonn as
- there exist easy ways to do a 3rd party version
- there is a substantial interest of Users investing money.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.
Many companies were affected in the recent cyber attack.
It shouldn't be hard to find a company sick of Microsoft...
Why not Deutsche Bahn or Renault for example?

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 5/20/2017 1:43 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi Patricia
>
> Am .05.2017, 22:04 Uhr, schrieb Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>:
>> A retired Sun or StarOffice person who understands how the code is
>> put together could save me a lot of time. My current low level
>> objective is to find where to put a break point to intercept a
>> double click on OLE substitute text. A few minutes of e-mail
>> response from someone who knows, or knows how to find out, might
>> save me hours or days. The same would apply to the professional
>> developers you want.
> I don't think, that this people are already retired, they are not
> old enough. And people from the pre SUN time bring not a load of
> benefit. Most of the code has changed since 1998. AFAIK one of the
> oldest part is the build in file picker (not the native one) He goes
> back to 199x.

Hmmm. I distinctly remember Sun picking up StarOffice, and I was working
for Sun as a large server performance architect at the time. I retired
in 2002. I was able to retire early because of Sun stock options I sold
in 2000, something that happened to a lot of senior developers at Sun.
Even without that, I would be retired by now, age 68.

> But what I want to say, we should not waste the time and try to
> restore the old project. OpenOffice is old, in the IT world very old.
> Things change from time to time. I don't say to scrap the old model
> immediately. Maybe we should invite people from the whole ASF to
> discuss how a modern Office Suite looks like. I believe we are to
> strong focused on the old concept. Sometimes this blocks new ideas
> and scares also companies with new ideas away.

That sounds sufficiently different that it should be run as a separate
project.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On May 20, 2017, at 5:11 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> We have way too many users to abandon the 4.x branch completely. We do need to handle security issues.

++1

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Honestly I agree with Dave.
It does not help us. I think for now let Libre and Apache go different ways.
That is the outcome of the past.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]

> > And the TDF should apologize for the FUD of the past and
> dissociate oneself from the people who are today FUD! Public
> and clear!
>
> If you care about this then you should discuss on the TDF
> lists as an individual.

This is not my task. This can do the ones that say the TDF would have changed!

However, I will defend on our mailing list AOO against attacks from outside!

Jörg

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Waiting for an apology that's never going to come is not going to help.

Meh had some misstatements of fact, but the description of other projects was interesting. I don't care to correct the misstatements.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
PLEASE. These types of threads, whether valid or not, are completely
orthogonal to the issue at hand and the *real* topic being discussed.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Jörg,

Reread what Simon wrote. Key phrase is those who work on both.

Also IBM as a company left the project 2.5 years ago and Rob left a year ago. In this case it is not helpful to reopen these hurts and past issues.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
Jörg

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

> Today the TDF is not independent, but depends on several companies,
> instead of one. These companies may also be very community-friendly, but
> again there is dependency and this dependency is actively exploited.

Please stop, this is poisonous. None of us who volunteer in both projects
recognise the description you (and you alone) keep giving of TDF and LO.
Repeating untrue statements like these over and over discourages
involvement by creating a hostile environment and promotes division. TDF
has moved on; it's time you did too.

Simon

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:peter.kovacs@posteo.de]

> Imho that's is what you have to do if you want to go into
> commerce. And after we have rebuild the community we might
> need to build or invite a commerce entity, too. Without hard
> feelings. ;)
>
> What was the whish that the ooo community  wanted, in your opinion?

A truly independent foundation.

Please note: SUN was a very very community-friendly company, but SUN did not allow any independent community, and the community wanted to change it with an independent foundation.

Today the TDF is not independent, but depends on several companies, instead of one. These companies may also be very community-friendly, but again there is dependency and this dependency is actively exploited.

> I think this is just my crazy idea.
> And I think a focus on a participant community is a way to
> make us special for others to get involved.

I did not mean the idea is crazy.

> What would be your way?

Any time to work with the forces that we have concretely. We should not set priorities that can be misunderstood as conditions.

What I would like is a community that is aware of the necessity of its independence, but is not afraid to work with companies.

I mean:
A strong community is even stronger by the help of companies,
but a weak community is further weakened by the interference of companies.

greetings,
Jörg

> >Gruß
> >Jörg
> Gruss zurück
> Peter

Oh, I see, I have greeted in German, that was no special purpose, only coincidence.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
See below:

Am 21. Mai 2017 10:01:17 MESZ schrieb "Jörg Schmidt" <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>:

>> From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:peter.kovacs@posteo.de]
>
>> Imho looking for Companies & Investors is the route Libre is moving.
>
>One word:
>The TDF is not the kind of foundation that the OOo community once
>wanted. The TDF is a money and PR machine for companies and LO is as
>dependent on these companies as once OOo of Oracle or Sun.
>I see people in the LO-community who work a lot but have little to say.
>Well-known people, who once advanced OpenOffice.org and enjoyed respect
>there.
Imho that's is what you have to do if you want to go into commerce. And after we have rebuild the community we might need to build or invite a commerce entity, too. Without hard feelings. ;)

What was the whish that the ooo community  wanted, in your opinion?

>> I don't think doing the same is smart.
>> I would rather prefer the opposite direction and focus on
>> community building.
>> And that is something we can do without any programmer skills.
>> We can claim that we are not bound today to anyone. The
>> structure of Apache makes sure of that, I think this is
>> something we differ a lot from TDF and we should utilize.
>> Also I think we should try to do a bit of old school Open
>> Source. No market focus for devs, rather go for the tech thingy.
>> I think we have to much competition on our minds.
>
>This would not be my way, but if developers want to follow this path,
>and a good software is generated, then this good software (relatively)
>automatically gets market meaning.
>Therefore, I will _not_ contradict this way, when it is the way which
>the developers want.
I think this is just my crazy idea.
And I think a focus on a participant community is a way to make us special for others to get involved.
What would be your way?

>Gruß
>Jörg
Gruss zurück
Peter

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Project organisation (was Re: Bugzilla)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
I do not disagree, Raphael.
However I believe in making one step after another.
First step is building up a core community. (Maybe it is there I just to blind to see it)
If we have that we found a community organisation And stabilized our current situation, we can make the next step.
We should stick to the idea we discussed at FOSDEM.
For me it is important that we have some devs and some people from user base.
That it is purely community focused, without any commerce involvement.

After we have that up and running we can check for a seperate commercial partner / unit.
In this step I would heavily involve the Apache Foundation because they have great experience in dealing with business contracts.

I have not come by to grade a charta that our community organisation needs. :(
Maybe we can do that together?

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patricia

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.
Maybe we should try to locate and convince people who used to work during
Star and Sun Microsystems to rejoin the project?
Perhaps instead of votes users can offer monetary compensation for solving
bugs (many users offering a tiny sum each can result in a reasonable
incentive)?
What about merging in developers from other projects like Gnumeric or
AbiWord?
For sure we should strive to be unique. No point in having two LibO...

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

For sure.
What people do see is that there is quite few development and little bug solving. It does not help to restore trust in the project.
But again, look at this list: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677#p81363
I raised this issue several times on this list and still nothing. Think of how users talk about AOO after having lost files that way.
I do know that it is not an easy one but it is the kind of bug that definitively damages AOO reputation. Finding the root cause and fixing it (or changing the save process to avoid it) would be enough to release a new major version. That would send a clear message that the community listen to the users.
For the record, I don't have any skills to help devs. However, we spent some time with forum volunteers trying to find a hint, but nothing interesting so far.

+1.
Hagar

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Release Cycle( was Re: Bugzilla)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
I agree we are round about at 1 release per year.
We should target reliable 2 releases per year cycle.

Important releases as needed.
I think that cycle would be tough for us.

Re: Security (was bugzilla)

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Since this is getting into specifics of security issues, I think it
should be moved to the security list.

Security (was bugzilla)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Jörg,

To think positively what should be the project's development goals? I think if we are going to attract developers and companies we need an agenda or rough roadmap.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>.
Le 20/05/2017 à 06:23, Jörg Schmidt a écrit :
> (a)
> We do not have enough developers (ok, we have to see what the future brings)
Well, that's the key point I guess.

> (b)
> The existing developers work voluntarily and do what they want - how do we get them to fix _specific_ bugs?
> Please understand what I mean: there are issues (respectively bug reports) that are important for the users, but not interesting for the developers. How do we motivate developers to work on _these_ issues?
>
> [...]
>
> We could put 50 issues to vote for each release of OO separately and fix the 10 which get the most votes from users.
> By this I do not mean to fix only 10 bugs per release, but the developer's willingness to fix 10 specific bugs, which interest the users, in addition to fixed, no matter whether the developers keep these bugs important.
Who would cast a vote? Users? I doubt they would engage again in such process. They already can vote for bugs. Some have hundreds of votes and nothing is done. What "trust" they could have in a new list to vote on? Or it should at least be a list of bugs acknowledged to be solvable with the limited resources still at hand.

For the record, in the forum, we tag all the topics that deals with a reported issue, it's easy to spot them, they have the [Issue] tag in the topic title and the red flame as icon, see this query: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/search.php?keywords=Issue&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

They key point is IMHO the motivation from free resources (not very coordinated). We cannot force people to work on specific bugs. What is at stake for devs? Fame? Pair recognition? Drilling by improving something big (AOO) in the meantime?
Users point of view, I see 2 key bugs that are too frequent in the users forum:
- Files reduced to ### (may require core code change linked to the save process)
- Dictionary lost (resetting the profile is a mere workaround). The bug was closed but I doubt the fix was really one since we still see this very often.

Hagar

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Marcus [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]

> absolutely, we need volunteers that would then work on these bug
> reports. Assumed they *are* valid bugs and not "how can I do this and
> that" questions. ;-)

yes, right, but that's not what I mean.

I mean we need developers who fix the bugs. And there are two problems:

(a)
We do not have enough developers (ok, we have to see what the future brings)

(b)
The existing developers work voluntarily and do what they want - how do we get them to fix _specific_ bugs?
Please understand what I mean: there are issues (respectively bug reports) that are important for the users, but not interesting for the developers. How do we motivate developers to work on _these_ issues?

greetings,
Jörg

btw:
A spontaneous suggestion for (b)

We could put 50 issues to vote for each release of OO separately and fix the 10 which get the most votes from users.
By this I do not mean to fix only 10 bugs per release, but the developer's willingness to fix 10 specific bugs, which interest the users, in addition to fixed, no matter whether the developers keep these bugs important.

Such an approach would increase user satisfaction ... and perhaps there will be another chance for the future:

Interested developers can (externally) create a kind of OpenOffice-crowdfunding - an online overview with issues and for each issue a certain donation sum - if the users donate this sum, the issue is immediately fixed.
This is a bit similar to Raphael's suggestion, but it is very concrete, concrete money for the removal of concrete bugs.
This also means (or can olso mean) small donations for small bugs, for example, 20 euros for removing an incorrect label on a button.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com>.
Le 19/05/2017 à 13:04, esh1907 a écrit :
> IMHO good idea.
> Our suite should have a "Report a Bug" in Help menu under "About
> OpenOffice".
I don't think such option would be first very visible and second very used.

> The average user shouldn't reach a cumbersome platform like Bugzilla to
> report a bug.
Perhaps the UI could be simplified but on the other hand, it helps to precisely narrow the code involved. And even if the report is not well filled-in, volunteers afterward can add details.

For the record, there is a tutorial on the forum: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13490

Hagar

Re: Bugzilla

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.