Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by 蝌蚪 <25...@qq.com> on 2016/11/24 11:19:26 UTC

Advice for better SVN

I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always very slow.
Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only file to SVN server? (as like Git)
Hope to help.
Thanks.

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
On Nov 24, 2016, at 4:33 AM, 蝌蚪 <25...@qq.com> wrote:

I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always very
slow.
Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only file to
SVN server? (as like Git)
Hope to help.
Thanks.

Also, might help to investigate which version of SVN you're using on both
the client and the server. Each release tends to bring some performance
improvements.

It may also be that the server is mis-configured, and performing slowly.
More details would help diagnose the specific issue.

Eric

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 6:19 AM, 蝌蚪 <25...@qq.com> wrote:
> I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
> When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always very
> slow.
> Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only file to
> SVN server? (as like Git)
> Hope to help.
> Thanks.

Because Subversion doesn't normally send files, which could get very
bulky and very expensive to compare and verify on the other end. It
sends the *changes* in the files. This is much smaller, and safer if
there are "svn:keywords" enabled which may differ if checked out on a
server and checked out on a client.

Subversion, and most source control systems, does not keep complete
distinct copies of the files. They store the *changes* between file
revisions. including the original commit, and assemble the end file
from all the changes. It's one of the reasons anything that changes
history can be so dangerous.

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24.11.2016 15:00, Pavel Lyalyakin wrote:

>>> You'd determine the cause of the slowness in your case. For once: Make sure you are using an appropriate protocol (http/https or svn(+ssh) rather than the file-protocol).
>> file:// protocol? How would OP access a server on the Internet through file://?
>
> NFS and CIFS work just fine over the internet, though I admit you'd have
> to be a bit of a masochist to try that.

Been there, done that. CIFS is *not*, *not*, *not* your friend for
Subversion working copies, nor for file:// server access. It's a very
"chatty" protocol. NFS tends to be far faster and more robust, with
the exception of NFS servers getting confused about whether clients
are still connected.

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin <pa...@visualsvn.com>.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Stefan Hett <st...@egosoft.com>.
On 11/24/2016 12:19 PM,  wrote:
> I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
> When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always
> very slow.
> Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only
> file to SVN server? (as like Git)
> Hope to help.
> Thanks.

You'd determine the cause of the slowness in your case. For once: Make
sure you are using an appropriate protocol (http/https or svn(+ssh)
rather than the file-protocol).
SVN transmissions are quite optimized and also compressed to some point
which is in certain cases superior over compressing all files and
transmit them over the wire... Certainly there are cases where I could
envision that a single compressed archive might be significant faster
than the current approach, but these are not for regular operations
you'd usually do (like a fresh checkout of a repository or committing
large duplicated files).

Stefan Hett

Re: Advice for better SVN

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@apache.org>.
On 2016-11-24 12:19 (+0100), "%u874C%u86AA" <2....@qq.com> wrote:
 > I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
> When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always very slow.
> Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only file to SVN server? (as like Git)
> Hope to help.
> Thanks.

If you are using HTTP/HTTPS over a long latency connection,
commits will be slow.  This is a known issue and people
are working on fixing this.

The problem is that every changed file is transmitted with
a separate handshake instead of streamingly.

If available, try the svn:// protocol.  It does not have
this issue.

-- Stefan^2.