Posted to user@flume.apache.org by "Vishwakarma, Chhaya" <Ch...@Teradata.com> on 2015/05/07 10:50:58 UTC

Getting data from IBM MQ to Hadoop

Hi All,

I want to read data from IBM MQ and put it  into HDFs.

Looked into JMS source of flume, seems it can connect to IBM MQ, but I'm not understanding what does "destinationType" and "destinationName" mean in the list of required properties. Can someone please explain?

Also, how I should be configuring my flume agents

flumeAgent1(runs on the machine same as MQ) reads MQ data ------> flumeAgent2(Runs on Hadoop cluster) writes into Hdfs
OR only one agent is enough on Hadoop cluster

Can someone help me in understanding how MQs can be integrated with flume

Thanks,
Chhaya

RE: Getting data from IBM MQ to Hadoop

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
Yep.

Posted by "Vishwakarma, Chhaya" <Ch...@Teradata.com>.
Hi Gwen,

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Chhaya,

First, it looks like one agent should be enough. Don't run agents on the
Hadoop cluster itself (i.e not on data nodes). You can give it its own
machine, share it with other "edge node" services (like Hue) or install it
on MQ machine (if the machine is not too busy).

Second, destination should have probably been named "source", i.e. thats
the queue or topic that contains the data in JMS.

There is a nice example in the docs:

a1.sources = r1a1.channels = c1a1.sources.r1.type =
jmsa1.sources.r1.channels = c1a1.sources.r1.initialContextFactory =
org.apache.activemq.jndi.ActiveMQInitialContextFactorya1.sources.r1.connectionFactory
= GenericConnectionFactorya1.sources.r1.providerURL =
tcp://mqserver:61616a1.sources.r1.destinationName =
BUSINESS_DATAa1.sources.r1.destinationType = QUEUE