Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Janus Strazza <ja...@aol.com> on 2015/01/12 03:30:57 UTC

Re: HELP - LABELS

I am sorry your reply has NOT helped me at all, you have not told me anything that I did not know.
I read the instructions for the template, clicked on the proper Avery form label, typed my name, printed
and the center of the labels was off to the left.  I do not know what the proper margins are and I hate this software.
I wish I had Microsoft and unfortunately I do not.  I asked for help with the settings and you were no help at all.
I guess I will never get my labels printed.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
What I do is fill the upper left and lower-right corners of the template with lines of XXX...X that just fit in whatever the borders are.

Then I print those with the desired printer to find out what the alignment issues are with the printer.  I don't waste label paper in doing this.

Then I make whatever fudges I need to make to margin settings until the label page comes out all right and if I lay it over a blank label sheet I am clear that everything will line up.

There are many settings in your computer and with respect to the printer driver that will influence all of this, including whatever might be happening with default margins.

Once I have a label document that works, I clear the fields and save it as the template for future use.

I do that on Windows with Word too.

 - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/,

To create labels in OpenOffice you start a new document
Go to File --> New --> Labels
In the menu that pops up you select Avery Letter Size as Brand and 5260
Address as Type. Click New Document and there is are your labels.

Re: HELP - LABELS

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.