Posted to commits@nutch.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/03/31 08:27:57 UTC

[Nutch Wiki] Update of "StrategicGoals" by SamiSiren

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by SamiSiren:
http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/StrategicGoals

The comment on the change is:
adding some random thoughts of mine

    1.

   1. Plugins and modularity
-   1.
-   1.
+  The plugin api itself is perhaps not optimal - For each interface (plugin) there is a factory. Each factory contains clutter code for doing similar things internally.
+   1. Refactor clutter code from factories to utility class or improve plugin system api and move clutter into plugin system itself.
+
+   1. Allow plugins to be packaged inside independent .jar. to ease distribution of plugins and allow plugins to be developed more easily outside of Nutch.
+   1. Evaluate some other strategies for extending Nutch (OSGi, some DI framework, Standard java extension mechanism...)

   1. Configuration, management and control
    1. Automation scripts for job streams
@@ -64, +67 @@

    1.

   1. Nutch for developers
+  Generally speaking I believe we should give more focus towards developer-kind-of-users of Nutch (people who build search services on Nutch). For this to happen a great deal of improvement can be done: Currently most of the tools in Nutch are not easy to customize (not talking about configuration here) without copy paste coding. Also unit testing is a pain as the pieces to test are huge.
+
+  To tackle this we could perhaps introduce pieces of smaller units of functionality and allow users to construct (command- or composite pattern) their specific application from these smaller pieces instead of offering one monolithic tool.
+
+  I believe also decoupling configuration from the "caching-within-configuration" pattern used in Nutch would also clear things up significantly.
+
    1. Build scripts and example eclipse projects (other ides too) for developing plugins in separate projects.
-   1.
+   1. Add more support for maven2 users with efforts like publishing core libraries to maven repositories, starting from apache snapshot repository. Build maven archetypes (one for each extension point?) for faster bootstrapping for m2 developers.

   1. Nutch for researchers
    1.