Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Martin Senger <se...@ebi.ac.uk> on 2005/03/09 13:03:16 UTC

what is (not) allowed in the service name?

Hi,
   I am using double colons in service names, e.g. my sevice name is
classic::helloworld. I found that it breaks Axis deployment. I wonder if
it is because some spec (SOAP I guess) does not allow it, or if Axis has a
bug? I have feeling that the former is right because I remember that some
time ago I was getting some warnings about colons in service name from
Perl's SOAP::Lite (but again, in that case it could be because Perl has a
special meaning for two double colons).

   Anyway, even if the service name is the culprit, Axis does not handle
this exception decently. It reports a ConfigurationException (which is
fine) but it also completely damages server-config.wsdd (it makes it empty
but existing as a file with size 0).

   If you wish to try, here is the deployment descriptor that damages your
serve-config.wsdd (the application parameters seem to be irrelevant):

   Save this into test.wsdd:

  <service name="classic::helloworld" provider="java:RPC">
  <parameter name="applab_factory" value="http://localhost/~senger/IOR/AppLabFactory.ref"/>
  <parameter name="scope" value="application"/>
  <parameter name="className" value="org.embl.ebi.SoaplabServer.applab.AnalysisWSAppLabImpl"/>
 </service>
</deployment>

   And try:
   java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient test.wsdd

   Thanks for any hints and help,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger@EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger