Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/21 01:59:27 UTC

Pig unit tests minus Java

I need to write unit tests that start with raw data on HDFS and plumb all the way through to a web browser.  Writing Java isn't desirable, so PigUnit isn't right.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'd like it to be as simple as possible.

Russell Jurney http://datasyndrome.com

Re: Pig unit tests minus Java

Posted by John Meagher <jo...@gmail.com>.
You can use JUnit for system tests like that, but it ends up being a
mess.  You would need a JUnit test that ran hadoop, ran any other
server pieces you needed, then you can use Selenium
http://seleniumhq.org/ for the browser side of the test.

Re: Pig unit tests minus Java

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig unit tests minus Java

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, this looks good.

Re: Pig unit tests minus Java

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I'll check e2e out.

What I really want to do is:

Run a pig script that stores to MongoDB. wget it as json, verify it's sanity.  I think I can run PigUnit in JRuby or Jython. I also want to do this continuously with Jenkins, any tips there?

Also, a question about PigUnit.  The docs show the filenames loaded and store as 'input' and 'output.'. These match the variable names for string input/output for tests. Coincidence, or can I use any path I want, in unmodified scripts, and run PigUnit on them? Sorry if this is obvious from the examples, I'm on a plane without wifi and it's bugging me.

Aside: Who woulda thought that a cross-country Delta Boeing 767-300ER(G) wouldn't have wifi in lay flat seating up front?

Re: Pig unit tests minus Java

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.