Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de> on 2011/01/12 16:29:57 UTC

Cobertura and Surefire

Hi,

In our project, the tests take some time - more than the developers are willing to execute twice (Surefire and Cobertura) over and over again.
First I bound Cobertura to verify-phase, but because the developers only run "test" to run the tests only once, they never go through the coverage-checks and the build on the buildserver breaks regularly because of too less coverage.

Because usually the result of instrumented and non-instrumented code is the same, I would like to bind Cobertura on the test-phase and Surefire on the verify-phase. But I can't get it work. Maven always executes either both plugins in the test-phase or successfully skips Surefire but effectivly skips Cobertura, too, because of skipped Surefire.

Currently (both are skipped) I tried to use the following plugin-configuration:
<plugin>
  <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
  <artifactId>cobertura-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.4</version>
  <configuration>
    <instrumentation>
      <excludes>
        <exclude>**/*Exception.class</exclude>
      </excludes>
    </instrumentation>
    <check>
      <totalLineRate>80</totalLineRate>
      <haltOnFailure>true</haltOnFailure>
    </check>
  </configuration>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <phase>test</phase>
      <goals>
        <goal>clean</goal>
        <goal>check</goal>
      </goals>
    </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>
<plugin>
  <configuration>
    <skip>true</skip>
  </configuration>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <phase>verify</phase>
      <goals>
        <goal>test</goal>
      </goals>
      <configuration>
        <skip>false</skip>
      </configuration>
    </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>

Does anybody know how to configure this?

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> First I bound Cobertura to verify-phase, but because the developers only run "test"
> to run the tests only once, they never go through the coverage-checks and the
> build on the buildserver breaks regularly because of too less coverage.

Perhaps bind something to your scm commit hook so the code simply
can't make it into your SCM tool without meeting certain standards for
coverage?

Wayne

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
actually these were tests of code that the developers thought not to include
threading or concurrency

I've been badly bitten by running the tests only once. they are unit tests,
they should be fast enough to run them twice.

and you should run them more than once and in a random order each time.

now if it's integration tests... whole different storey.

re your other point. I am consyantly amased at the java developers who think
they don't have to know about threading... they all think that running the
tests once with cobertura and having a successful run means that everything
is fine... that is not best practice. maven is about being opinionated
software. maven's opinion is that only by running the tests un instrumented
can you prove the tests pass. if you don't like mavens opinion, you can have
a hard time fighting it. stay on the naven way and run the damn tests twice

- Stephen

---
screen

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.
On 12 January 2011 08:12, Stephen Connolly
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because people who have not read and understood concurrency in
> practice often do not understand how the synchronization points affect
> jvm sequencing, people often wrongly suspect that result of
> instrumented and non-instrumented code is the same.
>
> I have had bugs which were not caught by unit tests because:
> 1. The test passed when the code was not instrumented and failed when
> the code was instrumented
> 2. The test failed when the code was not instrumented and passed when
> the code was instrumented

This is just silly. If you want to test your concurrent code then
write specific tests for it.

What you are doing is changing the environment (a tiny bit) and hoping
that you will find something. If that is your strategy then make a big
change to your environment and run your tests in really different
environments: IDE vs CLI, Windows vs Linux, desktop vs build server,
etcetera.

A normal unit test should run once, more is just a waste of time. The
fact that Maven will run unit tests multiple times is a bug that we
apparently have to live with. It is not a feature.

If this bug were fixed and you still wanted to run your unit tests
twice then you could configure that quite easily in your POM.
Everybody happy.

> As a result of my experiences I will not help you

Then why reply? Are you suggesting we now all start replying to
everything so that everyone knows we can not/will not help and why?
:-P

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Sounds nice, but this doesn't meet my requirement, that the tests with
> coverage-checks (and only one time, not twice) should run, when the developers
> do "mvn test".

It sounds like Maven cannot, for whatever reason, meet your "requirement."

> We have a quite small difference between coverage-threshold
> and actual coverage, so I think it's important, that the developers check their
> coverage during development, so they can react early.

It seems like you are only running into this problem because your
coverage is running arbitrarily close to the 80% cutoff that you
defined for test coverage. Perhaps you should instead focus some
energies on bumping your test coverage a lot so you are not so close
to the cutoff (so people aren't casually bumping into it so
regularly), or knock the cutoff down to 75% or so to give some
breathing room?

> Another problem to your solution is, that we unfortunately don't use a regular
> CI-server but a bunch of shellscripts and cron-jobs. So it's not as trivial as with
> Hudson (Jenkins?) to use this kind of build-pipeline.

Why can't you set up a more formal CI server like Hudson? This is
solution proposed by Jeff is a reasonable one and I know this same
strategy is used by a lot of groups doing CI.

Wayne

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de>.
Jeff Jensen wrote:
> Perhaps a different CI job structuring?  This has worked well for me
> at many
> customers: Have a CI job for only compile and unit tests - this
> maintains the most important very fast turnaround.  Have a second CI
> job for (longer
> running) IT tests that only runs with success of the first.
> Have a third job for coverage, standalone or as part of a full system
> site gen or using Sonar or other...

Sounds nice, but this doesn't meet my requirement, that the tests with coverage-checks (and only one time, not twice) should run, when the developers do "mvn test". We have a quite small difference between coverage-threshold and actual coverage, so I think it's important, that the developers check their coverage during development, so they can react early.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de>.
Jeff Jensen wrote:
> > Sounds nice, but this doesn't meet my requirement, that the
> > tests with coverage-checks (and only one time, not twice)
> > should run, when the developers do "mvn test".
> There is no acceptable solution to this "requirement".  Many
> of us "would like" to not run them twice, and in actuality
> running them twice is not a problem for things like site gen.

Thank you for this information, that it's currently simply not possible.

I think that's a shortcoming of cobertura-maven-plugin. It should be possible to overwrite the "default" surefire-configuration within the cobertura-configuration.
But for now I have to look for another way (thank you and the others for the suggestions)

> > we unfortunately don't use a
> > regular CI-server but a bunch of shellscripts and cron-jobs.
> > So it's not as trivial as with Hudson (Jenkins?) to use this
> > kind of build-pipeline.
> Looks like it is time to invest a couple of days and set it
> up!  Your work life will be easier and maintenance cheaper.

I completely aggree with you and I'd love to replace the scripts by a neat Hudson-installation. But the only way to do this (or the only way I can imagine) is to create a buildjob which simply calls our current master-buildscript. But I don't think I improved anything by doing this.
We can't use the most of hudson out of the box. Even the updating of the working-copy is not trivial: not only that we use CM Synergy (little support for it in Hudson and no public Java-API), but we need a combination of CM Synergy and Change Synergy to calculate the tasks to update.
I would really appreciate to migrate the build of the last 100 modules to Maven without the need of specialized builds for each target-stage, using a "mainstream" SCM-tool and so on... Unfortunately I think the client wouldn't pay for this work (not to forget the QA of the whole application).
But I think, I go off on a tangent.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Schulze, Stefan (EXTERN: CKC) <
extern.stefan.schulze1@volkswagen.de> wrote:

> Jeff Jensen wrote:
> > Perhaps a different CI job structuring?  This has worked well
> > for me at many
> > customers: Have a CI job for only compile and unit tests -
> > this maintains the most important very fast turnaround.  Have
> > a second CI job for (longer
> > running) IT tests that only runs with success of the first.
> > Have a third job for coverage, standalone or as part of a
> > full system site gen or using Sonar or other...
>
> Sounds nice, but this doesn't meet my requirement, that the tests with
> coverage-checks (and only one time, not twice) should run, when the
> developers do "mvn test".

There is no acceptable solution to this "requirement".  Many of us "would
like" to not run them twice, and in actuality running them twice is not a
problem for things like site gen.

However, my thinking is to separate the two runs anyway, as coverage is not
needed with each local build.
Run "mvn test" until the tests all pass and the developer thinks there is
reasonable coverage, then run "mvn cobertura:cobertura" and view the
results.  I think running coverage all the time is not necessary until ready
to inspect it, particularly when I know I have a lots of work to do on the
story/feature; coverage is irrelevant at the start with full TDD (tests
exist, no code exists, compile errors exist) and until I am ready to see the
needed additional cases.  That's for me; YMMV! :-)

> We have a quite small difference between
> coverage-threshold and actual coverage, so I think it's important, that
> the developers check their coverage during development, so they can
> react early.

What IDE is in use?  If Eclipse, consider using eCobertura, a Cobertura
Eclipse plugin, to run the tests in Eclipse and visually see the coverage as
needed.

> Another problem to your solution is, that

Actually, it is a problem with your environment/practices, not with the
solution!  ;-)

AW: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by "Schulze, Stefan (EXTERN: CKC)" <ex...@volkswagen.de>.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de>.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 13 January 2011 09:50, Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>> Because people who have not read and understood concurrency in
>> practice often do not understand how the synchronization points affect
>> jvm sequencing, people often wrongly suspect that result of
>> instrumented and non-instrumented code is the same.
>
> I'm not sure, why caring about concurrency is important in this context. I'm not using Maven 3 (so no concurrent builds) and I'm not using concurrent tests with JUnit.

Between synchronization points, the JVM is allowed to re-order
operations as long as the end result remains the same.

Cobertura puts a synchronization point in between every line and branch point.

Thus the re-ordering of lines cannot take place any more.

Start up a JVM and have a look at how many threads are running....

Still think you are in a single threaded world?

Also some simple libraries use threads behind your back... and even
the Java Runtime Libraries do that too...

Still think you don't have to know/worry about concurrency?

I shall repeat...

We had some "appears to be simple single threaded code" that we were
testing with a "simple test case".  The tests were only being run
instrumented... the tests were passing.... the bug was there... seen
in production system by big customer... in the end of the day, this
was identified as the original author not understanding about the
JVM's contract w.r.t. re-ordering operations in-between
synchronization points and the fact that using cobertura introduced a
synchronization point at every line so that the code as written could
only work when instrumented.

Run the damn tests at least twice. (I'd like to say run them on
multiple JVMs too but Oracle seems intent on merging all the JVMs into
openjdk)

-Stephen

> But it's quite plain to me it is possible, that instrumented code behaves different to uninstrumented code, so testing the instrumented code can pass the tests while uninstrumented fail. (i.e. because of attributes added by instrumentation, which are unexpected when working with reflection on these attributes)
>
> But I think it doesn't happen on a regular basis, that the instrumented code pass or fails the tests, where the uninstrumented doesn't. But sadly it's more regular in our team, that the Cobertura-step fails (not because failing tests but because of too low coverage).

It happens when you least expect it.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire

Posted by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de>.

Re: Cobertura and Surefire