Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Christian Edward Gruber <cg...@israfil.net> on 2006/10/18 02:17:30 UTC

Proposed: UI for build defs (default build defs)

Hey all,

    I mentioned this on IRC and felt it should be sent ot the list.
The notion of default build def is really wierd, now that groups are
there.

    In particular, can the "default build def" for a project be a group
def, or only a project def.  The UI for this is also crapped out, as the
check-box is dangerous.  If you "uncheck" a default project, who becomes
defualt?

    I think we need a drop down on a per-project basis, which MAY
include both project and group builds as that project's default build
def.  If you delete a build def, there would have to be logic to
fail-into another build def, or the delete should be disallowed until
you reassign all projects that hold it as a default.

    Then if a user hits "build group" then (in build order) the default
build def for each project is scheduled in turn.

Christian.

--

*christian** gruber + process coach and architect*

*Israfil Consulting Services Corporation*

*email** cgruber@israfil.net + bus 905.640.1119 + mob 416.998.6023*

Re: Proposed: UI for build defs (default build defs)

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
well when I worked on this I added in some core.actions to do some of
this kinda logic

     * 1) project groups have default build definitions
     * 2) if project has default build definition, that overrides
project group definition
     * 3) changing parent default build definition does not effect
project if it has a default declared
     * 4) project groups must have a default build definition

that was from the javadocs on the
resolveDefaultBuildDefinitionsForProjectGroup method on
AbstractBuildDefinitionContinuumAction

jesse

On 10/17/06, Christian Edward Gruber <cg...@israfil.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>     I mentioned this on IRC and felt it should be sent ot the list.
> The notion of default build def is really wierd, now that groups are
> there.
>
>     In particular, can the "default build def" for a project be a group
> def, or only a project def.  The UI for this is also crapped out, as the
> check-box is dangerous.  If you "uncheck" a default project, who becomes
> defualt?
>
>     I think we need a drop down on a per-project basis, which MAY
> include both project and group builds as that project's default build
> def.  If you delete a build def, there would have to be logic to
> fail-into another build def, or the delete should be disallowed until
> you reassign all projects that hold it as a default.
>
>     Then if a user hits "build group" then (in build order) the default
> build def for each project is scheduled in turn.
>
> Christian.
>
> --
>
> *christian** gruber + process coach and architect*
>
> *Israfil Consulting Services Corporation*
>
> *email** cgruber@israfil.net + bus 905.640.1119 + mob 416.998.6023*

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com