Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/21 15:08:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Eclipse plugin structure

Hi All,

I've been thinking a bit about the structure of our Eclipse plugin, and
wondered whether anyone else has any thoughts about it. I recently
committed some code to check dependencies between singleton beans
(OPENEJB-910), and added this functionality as a separate plugin within
our feature in order to separate it from the rest of our code.

So currently we have the following plugins, all of which get bundled
into a single feature:

org.apache.openejb.branding
org.apache.openejb.help
org.apache.openejb.help.nl1
org.apache.openejb.help.nl2
org.apache.openejb.help.nl2a
org.apache.openejb.help.nlBidi
org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation
org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation.test
org.apache.openejb.builder
org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.openejb

We also have a plugins-common module which provides the common
annotation generation code, and has no Eclipse specific code (so it
could be used for outputting changes to the command line for example).

The org.apache.openejb.builder plugin is the new plugin I added for the
singleton dependency checker. org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation is
the plugin which uses the JDT API to add annotations to source code, and
org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.openejb provides the WTP extensions to
run a standalone server in Eclipse.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the plugin structure? Do you think its
best to continue down the route of separating each different piece of
functionality into different plugins, or would some consolidation be
useful? There is some common code in the annotation and builder plugins,
so I was thinking it might be worth either merging them together, or
creating a 'core' plugin that they both depend on.

Secondly, what does everybody think of the plugin names? We already have
a Jira logged for the namespace of the
org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.openejb (OPENEJB-867).

I was thinking along the lines of merging the
org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation and the org.apache.openejb.builder
plugins together, and renaming it to org.apache.openejb.tools (and
renaming the test plugin to match), and renaming the
org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.openejb plugin to org.apache.openejb.server.

Any thoughts / ideas anyone has would be most welcome :)

Jon

Re: [DISCUSS] Eclipse plugin structure

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I've renamed the plugin and created two features:
org.apache.openejb.devtools and org.apache.openejb.server.

Jon

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.
what about creating several new eclipse features like ...

* org.apache.openejb.branding
  ** org.apache.openejb.branding

* org.apache.openejb.help
  ** org.apache.openejb.help
  ** org.apache.openejb.help.nl1
  ** org.apache.openejb.help.nl2
  ** org.apache.openejb.help.nl2a
  ** org.apache.openejb.help.nlBidi

* org.apache.openejb.annotation
  ** org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation
  ** org.apache.openejb.helper.annotation.test
  ** org.apache.openejb.builder

* org.apache.openejb.server
  ** org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.openejb

Most times it helps if you try to structure your plugins into fine
granular features for example Geronimo could re-use OpenEJB features
that way or vice versa.

Factoring out common code into a commons/foundations/core plugin
sounds reasonable as well.