Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Joao Miguel Ferreira <jm...@estg.ipvc.pt> on 2006/01/31 17:00:28 UTC

problem with image

Hello all,

I'm having problems inserting one parfticular image on my document. I'm
using: forrest 0.5.1, document-v12.dtd.

The line that causes problems is (the 'figure' item):

----------------------------
previous text</p>
<figure src="images/tubos.gif" alt=""/>
--------------------------

If I comment it out it works fine.

The error messagem I get is (the fop part):

* [0]   0.025s 1.1Kb   hello.pdf
* [0]   0.029s 2.8Kb   skin/page.css
X [0]                       samples/sample.pdf  BROKEN:
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: No meaningful layout in block after
many attempts.  Infinite loop is assumed.  Processing halted.
* [27]  0.175s 12.3Kb  samples/ehtml-sample.html

I have another image in the document that works fine...

Any hints ?

thx

jmf

Re: problem with image

Posted by Torsten Stolpmann <To...@verit.de>.

Ross Gardler wrote:
> Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm having problems inserting one parfticular image on my document. I'm
>> using: forrest 0.5.1, document-v12.dtd.
>>
>> The line that causes problems is (the 'figure' item):
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> previous text</p>
>> <figure src="images/tubos.gif" alt=""/>
>> --------------------------
>>
>> If I comment it out it works fine.
>>

>> The error messagem I get is (the fop part):

>> * [0]   0.025s 1.1Kb   hello.pdf
>> * [0]   0.029s 2.8Kb   skin/page.css
>> X [0]                       samples/sample.pdf  BROKEN:
>> org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: No meaningful layout in block after
>> many attempts.  Infinite loop is assumed.  Processing halted.
>> * [27]  0.175s 12.3Kb  samples/ehtml-sample.html
>>
>> I have another image in the document that works fine...
>>
>> Any hints ?
>
> I'm not sure if this is the same symptoms or not, search the user
> archives and the issue tracker for more info, but...
>
> There are reported problems with large images in PDF documents. Is this
> image particularly large?
>
> Ross

I can confirm this suspicion, seen this before. What is basically going
on here is that FOP is unable to place this image in a sensible
position. Try rescaling the picture or limit the width/height manually.

HTH,

Torsten

Re: problem with image

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: problem with image

Posted by Joao Miguel Ferreira <jm...@estg.ipvc.pt>.
ok.

got that !

thx

Joao Miguel
jmf

Re: problem with image

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

RE: problem with image

Posted by Joao Miguel Ferreira <jm...@estg.ipvc.pt>.
Greg,

can you tell me what is 'Forrest Head' ???

and thanks again for the height-width tip...

jmf

RE: problem with image

Posted by Greg - VACO <gr...@cox.net>.
Sorry I didn't originally reply on-list:

I've been struggling with this exact same problem, please see
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-413.  Briefly, I found that I
received that ugly error when I had tall, thin image.  Through trial-n-error
I found if your height is greater than 540px and your image is thinner than
451px, you get the error.  The easy work-around is to make it either shorter
or fatter, but the minimum ratio seems to be 540:451.  As to why this works,
I don't really know.

[...]

Posted by bf...@lexmark.com.
Is the image large? 'alt' is the only required attribute, but I seem to
recall that the fop transformation sometimes need the height and width
attributes to figure out how to scale an image...

--Bill
54047

"A 'No' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes'
merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." --M. Gandhi

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy." -- M.L. King, Jr.

Joao Miguel Ferreira <jm...@estg.ipvc.pt>
01/31/06 11:00 AM
Please respond to user