Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/05 14:11:29 UTC

website idea

Hi, thinking about website designs, I ran into this one:

https://ci.inria.fr

It's simple, yet modern.

I think something along this line with CloudStack logos and some good thinking of categories would work well.

-sebastien

Re: website idea

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 5, 2013, at 8:16 AM, Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> That site is obviously powered by wordpress, would be good if we could identify what template was used
>
> Regards

I actually think it's using the default twitter bootstrap templates (as hugo mentioned).

RE: website idea

RE: website idea

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Ouch! :)

But yes I agree with your comments as well, and once we have a wireframe, we can better take it to the slicing table(Film Reference) to get community feedback and quick changes to the mockup.

This is one area of CloudStack that will need to be treated like a business to be successful. And I see no harm in engaging external help, provided no rules are broken. IE having art assets and design donated.

I am going to see if anyone of my guys would be willing to submit a wireframe proposal, and I hope we can get a few proposals out of the community at large. Heck a good PR move might be to hold a website design contest.

Thanks

KELCEY DAMAGE
Infrastructure Systems Architect
www.backbonetechnology.com
kelcey@backbonetechnology.com

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
Sorry I meant John nailed it.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.

Re: website idea

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Re: website idea

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Mathias Mullins
<ma...@citrix.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Then why do we have a "Integration Partners" section of the wiki? We ask
> people to integrate but we don't want to mention that they integrate with
> it? Seems kinda backwards doesn't it? I know a lot of good companies that
> support the Open Source version and are very proud of that fact. Maybe
> it's just a ASF rule.
>
> Matt

No idea how that page come into being.
The content is really on how to integrate with CloudStack.
There simply isn't a mechanism for a corporation to partner. People
who come here work here as individuals, corporations have no standing.
ASF policy also specifically disclaims listing 'partnerships' between
external entities and an ASF project.

Keep in mind that the ASF is vendor-neutral (how can you be neutral if
you 'partner' with projects) and indeed has different goals than
businesses (the ASF is a non-profit). I suspect that much of that is
done to protect the non-profit status of the ASF.

This isn't to say that we don't value companies deciding to integrate
or dedicate resources to working on CloudStack. From a project
perspective we are a failure if people don't see the value and don't
choose to participate. Nor does it mean that we can't feature the
technical integration (e.g. posts extolling the awesomeness of the new
Ramifordistat integration in CloudStack). But we can't feature any
'partnership' between the Ramifordistat Company and Apache CloudStack
or the Apache Software Foundation.

--David

Re: website idea

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
Would it work if we just called it complimentary technologies and didn't imply an endorsement as you would with a partner? Just explain the integration and point to the tech, disclaimers and all.

Mark

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
WellŠ that really doesn't change the conversation does it?

So let me re-phrase for the courtsŠ

Would we want to have a listing of those companies that have chosen to
have integration with the CloudStack Project? :-)

Matt

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
David,

Re: website idea

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: website idea

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
Agreed! I also think we can take the opportunity to use the style for dual purpose website and wiki.

Allowing a continuous flow between content centers without any jarring transitions.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by kd...@apache.org.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Already got it Kelcey. Give me 10 to edit more.

Matt

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: Website flow (was Re: website idea )

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
I did try to encompass some of today and some new things as well, including consolidating some of the ideas from Sonny's idea and information as well. So it's a little of both, but definitely need some more time to take more time at it.

Use cases is one that I'm going to add tomorrow when I get back. ;-)

Thank you,
Matt Mullins
Cloud Platforms Implementation Engineer
Worldwide Cloud Services
mathias.mullins@citrix.com
+1 (407) 920-1107

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

RE: website idea

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Editing it already. :-)

Matt

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

RE: website idea

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Agreed!,

Re: website idea

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
cool, thx.

On Mar 5, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>
 wrote:

> Here was Sonny's first mock-up.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Apache+website+redes
> ign+proposal
>
> Matt
>

> On 3/5/13 3:19 PM, "John Kinsella" <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:
>
>> Yep - I didn't mean to suggest that we were going to come up with a
>> design and go "here ya go everybody!" just seeing if we had bandwidth to
>> help on the design side. Will know later this week.
>>
>> Totally concur on get ideas/flow figured out before trying to design for
>> it.
>>
>> I heard Sonny was going to mock something up, but never saw the resultsŠ
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on Joe's thought here that that we need to put together a framework
>>> before we can really put a website around it. We need to really come up
>>> with where are hot points.
>>>
>>> I know that Sebastian started this one back up, and I'm not sure, but
>>> did
>>> people miss the mock up that Sonny did as well? I think the original
>>> concept that he was going for may not be 100%, but is on the realm that
>>> John was talking about. Original, Specific and enticing.
>>>
>>> So let's get a redesign site map started on the wiki, and then build the
>>> website around that. Does that sound like a better way to tackle it?
>>>
>>> Matt

>> Stratosec - Secure Infrastructure as a Service
>> o: 415.315.9385
>> @johnlkinsella

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Re: website idea

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: website idea

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 5, 2013, at 12:05 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:

> First thought: "noooooooooooooooo!" ;)
>
> Second thought: As ACS is a fairly major project and not a CI engine (sorry, but…), our website has three purposes:
> a) Get operational folks to want to try ACS
> b) Get developers interested in contributing to ACS
> c) Educate others about why ACS is so #@$@#$ awesome and they (or their teams, or their companies) should be using it.
> (feel free to expand/contrast on this)
>
> So, with that said - From my experience, the stereotypical Twitter Bootstrap sites do not say that to me. They say "this is a site that was quickly set up by a developer so he could get back to something else." There's not a single graphic element on inria's site - except for 2 buttons. Not pretty by any means, IMHO. I'm reminded of Ruby projects or Github projects who think 15 lines in their README.md is AWESOME for their project's website.
>
> Take a look at the other cloud provisioning project's site. Both looks better and does a better job of communicating what it is.
>
> Here's a few sites I've seen recently that I consider "pretty" and "modern" sites:
>
> https://jawbone.com/up - admittedly complicated
> https://www.meldium.com/ - probably bootstrap based, but at least looks good IMHO

that one looks good.

> http://www.qualtrics.com/
> http://couchdb.apache.org/ - Just pulled it up while looking through the ASF project list - not bad!

we mentioned couchdb website before, as well as cordova. probably a bit too dev centric

Re: website idea

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

 wrote:

> Hi, thinking about website designs, I ran into this one:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr
>
> It's simple, yet modern.
>
> I think something along this line with CloudStack logos and some good thinking of categories would work well.
>
> -sebastien

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: website idea

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sonny,

I like it much more than the previous design which was too window7'ish to my taste.

I am a little underwhelmed by the white background.

Also I would be in favor of an equal size box for dev, docs and community. Located above News ?

I think the top banner (apache cs, about, community…) has too small a font.

-sebastien

RE: website idea

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Love it.

Re: website idea

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
I like - looks clean. Digging the colored header backgrounds.

John

On Mar 19, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>
 wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Sorry I've been quiet on this, I just got back from a 2-week vacation. I worked on another design that may be in-line with some of the samples and feedback I've seen on this chain. Please see the design at the links below and let me know your thoughts.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30754639/cs_siteV2.jpg?version=2&modificationDate=1363727488728
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Apache+website+redesign+proposal?focusedCommentId=30758521&#comment-30758521
>
> Thanks You and Best Regards,
>
> Sonny H. Chhen
> Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
> 4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

RE: website idea

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
Hi Sonny,

Starting to look really good, and much more polished. I like it.

-kd

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 02:14:24PM -0700, Sonny Chhen wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Sorry I've been quiet on this, I just got back from a 2-week vacation. I
> worked on another design that may be in-line with some of the samples
> and feedback I've seen on this chain. Please see the design at the links
> below and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for this, Sonny - I'm pretty excited about this design, overall.
We probably need to make some tweaks, but I really like this look.

UI design/discussion can go off the rails pretty easily. I'm going to
start a second thread specifically for this design and would ask that
folks give really concrete feedback about any changes they'd like to
see, etc.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
http://dissociatedpress.net/

RE: website idea

Re: website idea

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Re: website idea

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 07:15 AM, Hugo Trippaers wrote:
> Looks like that are using the twitter bootstrap stuff
> (http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/)
>
> Simple, and looks great

We're using Twitter Bootstrap for the site as well - albeit maybe not as
prettily. ;-)

Best,

jzb

RE: website idea