Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by leerho <le...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/27 18:04:23 UTC

New version of DataSketches-java

Folks,
I’m thinking that the new release of ds-java should be 3.0.0 rather than
2.1.0.  The actual changes to the ds-java API are rather minor.  The vast
majority of the changes are internal changes to accommodate the new Memory
2.0.0.  However, the fact that it now supports JDKs 8-13 is quite
significant.

So what API changes are there?  The only real ones I could find are:

   - The class MurmurHash3v2.java was moved out of DS-java to DS-memory.
   Because the MurmurHash3v2.java version used Unsafe, this move removed the
   only chunk of code in ds-java that used Unsafe. This makes ds-java
   completely free of any direct use of JVM internals. Note that this MMH3v2
   was never used in ds-java and I doubt many external users used it either as
   it was rather hidden.
   - The API of the MemoryRequestServer was slightly changed in ds-memory
   and since it also is used from ds-java, it represents a public API change
   to users of ds-java as well.

Because ds-java now supports JDKs 8-13 is so significant, my vote is to
promote the new release of ds-java to 3.0.0.

Thoughts?
Lee.

Re: New version of DataSketches-java

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.
Trying to follow the semantic versioning idea, any public API changes --
even if hard to discover -- trigger a major version bump. If the changes
might break existing code (deprecation doesn't count), rather than adding
to the API then it's a new major version.

That makes it an easy 3.0 to me.

  jon