Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Sascha Fröhlich <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/24 16:49:24 UTC

GSOC 2008

Hi there,

I would like to apply for Google Summer of Code at the Apache James
Project. I'm quite involved with James due to my student work as a
software developer so I think it's a good choice to apply here.

I've got some questions I'd like to ask:

I've read the FAQ at http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ and I know
basically what I should write in my application.
Is there anything you want to know beside this FAQ?
Are there any applications from the years before I can have a look at?

Is there some student work from the years before I can have a look at?

My decision to participate this year in Googles Summer of Code was very
rapid, I hope you don't mind.

Greetings,

Sascha Fröhlich (student of Systems Engineering at the University of
Duisburg-Essen, Germany)

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Jonas Arnsmann <jo...@globolog.com>.
Hi there,

I would like to join the James GSOC 2008 too.
I'm a fellow student (and co-worker) of Sascha Fröhlich and we would
really like to work
on the James Project together ;)
Reading through one last mails from Noel, i think it's better if we
start working on mladmin, right?
Or are there other students doing this?

Registrations will be made directly through google, right?

I'm really looking forward to start coding..

Greetings,
Jonas Arnsmann (student of Systems Engineering at the University of
Duisburg-Essen, Germany)

--- Original-Nachricht ---
Absender: Sascha Fröhlich
Datum: 24.03.2008 16:49

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
You read this too right?
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2008#james

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Sascha Fröhlich
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Robert Burrell Donkin schrieb:
>
> | On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Sascha Fröhlich
>  | <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  |> Hi there,
>  | hi
>  |>  I would like to apply for Google Summer of Code at the Apache James
>  |>  Project. I'm quite involved with James due to my student work as a
>  |>  software developer so I think it's a good choice to apply here.
>  | cool
>  |>  I've got some questions I'd like to ask:
>  |>
>  |>  I've read the FAQ at http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ and I know
>  |>  basically what I should write in my application.
>  |>  Is there anything you want to know beside this FAQ?
>  | are you interested in verp or mladmin?
>  I threw a glance on VERP and think it's indeed quite interesting. There
>  are a few days left to get into this topic and there is a lot of information
>  available.

looks like this year there are more organisations than ever before so
competition is likely to be high. it's important to do some research
so that you can explain the project well in the application.

>  Is Danny Angus the one to whom my application goes?

i'm not sure (hopefully someone who does will jump in)

take a look at http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents
and http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html

- robert

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Oh.. and I'm sure everyone here will be happy to help you with your application.

Be sure to explain what you want to do and why, the applications are
all reviewed by humans and the "best" ones selected. Not every idea
gets a student, and we don't even know how many Apache students there
will be until student applications close, so take your time to make a
good job of it.

d.

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Sascha,

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Sascha Fršöhlich <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
>  where do I find the mailing list manager? I'm a little bit confused...

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/spoolmanager-function/src/main/java/org/apache/james/transport/mailets/listservcommands/

(or similar path in tag 2.3.0

RE: GSOC 2008

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:

> I'm not sure what google think about more than one student per idea,

Since the MLM is modular, perhaps they can work on different parts.  There is plenty to do there.  I have a whole list of MLM related activities, each of which could be GSoC-sized.

For example, when the MLM is sending e-mail, it would want to use VERP.  But we don't want to create N copies of the outgoing message in the process, we just want to control the outgoing envelope.  So we need to come up with an enhancement for optimal delivery of such messages.  That is independent of work on message and subscriber moderation, archiving, etc.

	--- Noel

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
James mlm is mailets and matchers in o.a.james.transport.matchers and
o.a.j.t.mailets,

I'm not sure what google think about more than one student per idea,
I'm guessing that you'd have to apply separately, and then you'll
probably be competing.
Perhaps if one applies for the VERP task and one for the other mailer
enhancements you could collaborate if you're both accepted?

I'll ask about multiple students per idea though.

d.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Sascha Fröhlich

Re: GSOC 2008

Posted by Sascha Fr?öhlich <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

thank you very much. I appreciate that.

Greetings, Sascha

Poynter, David schrieb:
> [...]
implement two listserv commands, add-subscriber and remove-subscriber.
>  I was going to submit them for inclusion but got busy and never put
the 'final polish' on them, although I did provide them to someone that
asked for them here and he is using them, AKAIK.

RE: GSOC 2008

Posted by "Poynter, David" <PO...@adeq.state.ar.us>.
|> I threw a glance on VERP and think it's indeed quite interesting.
|
| Please note that I've already written and contributed a REGEX-based VERP
| parser.  The real issue would be implementing VERP in the mailing list
| manager, along with other necessary features, and then using VERP
(with the
| provided parser) when receiving bounces and similarly encoded messages.
|
|     --- Noel

Greetings, Sascha

RE: GSOC 2008

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.