Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/14 16:56:14 UTC

Darklaf - A themeable swing Look and Feel based on Darcula-Laf

Hi,

It looks interesting: https://github.com/weisJ/darklaf/wiki/Features

Vladimir

Re: Darklaf - A themeable swing Look and Feel based on Darcula-Laf

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
> * it seems to takes more screen space  than the other themes (just a
feeling)

It was a bug in Combobox rendering:
https://github.com/weisJ/darklaf/issues/38
It is fixed.

>* dragable separators are hard to see (on my setup). I can only see the
drag-handles

I guess even the old Darcula renders the handles only.
It looks like Darklaf defaults to no-border JPanel while Darcula renders
1px black border which sometimes looks like a divider.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 14.02.20 um 19:57 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
>> Yes, it is looking really nice.
> OK. I've tried it, and it seems to work, however, there are glitches :(
>
> The most interesting bit is jxlayer-3.0.4.jar dependency.
> AFAIK the library was initiated at http://swinglabs.org/ which is no longer
> available.
> The jar file does not bundle the license text.
> I don't think the original repository is alive.
>
> I guess the license of the artifact is BSD-3-Clause (==> it requires to
> reproduce the copyright header),
> so technically speaking we must somehow resurrect the copyright owner if we
> want to include that dependency :)
>
> I'm not that good at resurrection, however, it looks like this looks ok:
> https://github.com/tsachev/jgnash/blob/25a5ad1f9349cf9f2849509c09a24f8b1fa3cbf5/jgnash-resources/src/main/resources/jgnash/resource/html/en/jxlayer-license.html
>
> ----
>
> Here's a PR with minimal change to make it fly:
> https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/556
>
> I've filed a couple of issues to darklaf as well.

I tried your branch on linux and it works OK, but I have a made few
observations:

* it seems to takes more screen space  than the other themes (just a
feeling)

* dragable separators are hard to see (on my setup). I can only see the
drag-handles

but all in all it seems pretty smooth.

Thanks for your work

 Felix

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 01.04.20 um 18:30 schrieb Antonio Gomes Rodrigues:
> Hi
>
> Good job, JMeter is much more beautiful now
>
> I have tested the last nighty in a fresh Ubuntu linux and I have two
> warnings when I launch JMeter
>
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
> Apr 01, 2020 5:25:35 PM com.kitfox.svg.Text buildText
> WARNING: Could not create font Arial
>
> I need to install Arial font with:
> sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
>
> Gtk-Message: 17:25:36.748: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> I need to insyall the module with:
> sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module

And only about one year later, we got rid of the warnings ;)

The svg had some references to the Arial font embedded, which it didn't
need.

Felix

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 14:09, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >No, that's not exactly what 100% pure Java code means
>
> Pure Java means nothing.
> JMeter has lots of Properties, XML, XSLT, CSS, Groovy, BeanShell, and even,
> holy cow, JavaScript files.
>
> There's no point in making "100% pure X" without having a good definition
> of that.

Properties, XML, etc are not executed by the JVM; they are effectively
just data.

> >The Java code must of course comply with the appropriate Java language
>
> >Is Darklaf written entirely in Java?
> >Are all its dependencies written in Java?
>
> It is Java virtual machine compliant. Why does the language matter to you?

It does not matter, per se.
 What matters is that JMeter is secure against crashing, and that it
will run on any system with a conforming JVM.

The JMeter jars contain Java byte code compiled from Java source files.
(Yes, there are properties and XML files, but these are not executable
by the JVM).

The JVM interprets the Java byte code, so is able to guarantee that it
will not cause a crash.
If the byte code is invalid, the JVM will throw an error at load time,
and similarly if there is a run-time error.
It can guarantee not to crash because it controls exactly how the JVMs
native code is invoked when processing the byte code.

Now the JVM also allows Java byte code to invoke native code in
external libraries.
It has no control over the content of such libraries, so cannot
guarantee that the are being called correctly.

Once you add external native code to a Java app, the JVM cannot prevent crashes.
Nor can one guarantee that the Java app will run on every conforming JVM.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 13:29, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Huh?
>
> Ok, so you mean Java specification.

No, that's not exactly what 100% pure Java code means.
The Java code must of course comply with the appropriate Java language
specification so it can be compiled.

But there is a further condition, which is that the code must only
rely on code that has itself been compiled from Java source.

i.e. all the code (apart from the JVM) is derived from Java source.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 11:12, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Will JMeter remain 100% pure Java?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the question.
> What do you mean by 100% Java?

Huh?

It means that the code is written entirely in Java.
This includes all libraries.

The only native code is in the JVM.

Advantages:
- if a JVM crash occurs, it must be due to a bug in the JVM.
 It's not possible to directly cause a JVM crash from Java code except
by triggering a JVM bug.

- JMeter should work on all conforming JVMs.
  There may be occasional issues if the code makes invalid assumptions
about the host OS, but in general the code should be portable to all
hosts that provide a suitable JVM.

Once native code is added, there are no guarantees: Java code can
cause a JVM crash if there is a bug in the native code.
Such crashes are generally very hard to debug.
Also native code may not be available for all hosts.
Generally 3rd party native code won't have had the same level of
testing as a JVM.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 10:55, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >JMeter is advertised as being 100% pure Java code.
>
> Darklaf has a native integration feature, however, it is optional.

What does that mean?

Will JMeter remain 100% pure Java?

> Currently, JMeter uses Darcula as a default look and feel now,
> there are multiple UI bugs in Darcula (e.g. tree indent is hard to see),
> Darcula has a single release only,
> nobody's going to fix Darcula issues in Darcula itself, because the code is
> just stale.

So why did JMeter switch to using Darcula?

> So I think we should drop Darcula theme completely, and migrate to Darklaf
> ( https://github.com/weisJ/darklaf ) or FlatLaf (
> https://github.com/JFormDesigner/FlatLaf )
>
> So far, Darklaf maintainer fixed all the JMeter-related LaF issues, and I
> think JMeter can just migrate to that LaF.
> The challenge for JMeter is that Darklaf uses **extensible** theming, so it
> is a single LaF with an ability to have multiple themes.
> JMeter's menu does not support that, and we probably need to configure that
> somehow (e.g. creating a submenu for themes).

That sounds like a lot of work, as well as extra complication for the user.

Are there really no standard LAFs that would suit JMeter?
Is it really necessary to use a 3rd party LAF that may or may not be
supported long-term?

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 11:51, Philippe Mouawad
<ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That might introduce issues in this case that will be hard to find.
> Does it silently default if it fails to bind to dll or does it break  ?

JMeter is advertised as being 100% pure Java code.

Do we really wish to invalidate that?

Sebb.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>Does it silently default if it fails to bind to dll or does it break  ?

No idea.
The full thing works in my macOS. It might work as well if excluding jna
dependency, however I have not tried that.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Darklaf - A themeable swing Look and Feel based on Darcula-Laf

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Just wondering, why does it rely on jna ?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM Vladimir Sitnikov <

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Darklaf - A themeable swing Look and Feel based on Darcula-Laf

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
It looks nice indeed.
But the glitches for now seem blocking no ?

Regards

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:57 PM Vladimir Sitnikov <

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Darklaf - A themeable swing Look and Feel based on Darcula-Laf

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.