Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Martin Mauri <mm...@profesi.com.ar> on 2001/05/10 20:05:17 UTC

Tomcat User

Hi users!

I've read in the Apache documentation that, at least on Solaris systems, the
Apache is started up by root but he spawns the processes as a diferent user,
called "nobody". What I want to know, is what happens with Tomcat when is
running integrated with Apache does it run its proesses as "nobody" as well?

thanks,

Martin

Lic. Martin O. Mauri
Profesion + Auge A.F.J.P
Parana 666 - Cap. Federal
TE: (011) 4373-7786/7 int: 422
mmauri@profesi.com.ar
www.profesi.com.ar

Re: Tomcat User

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 10 May 2001, Martin Mauri wrote:

> Hi users!
>
> I've read in the Apache documentation that, at least on Solaris
> systems, the Apache is started up by root but he spawns the
> processes as a diferent user, called "nobody". What I want to know,
> is what happens with Tomcat when is running integrated with Apache
> does it run its proesses as "nobody" as well?

Since Tomcat is run as a separate process, it can be run as any user
you wish.  There are issues either way you do it, i.e. whether it's
run as the same user as Apache or a different one, and you just have
to decide which you prefer.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu