Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net> on 2007/03/12 21:12:49 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Links from main site to Apache OFBiz Communities -> Locales]

David,

 > The best place for this question would be on the mailing list.

I had been posting this on the mailing list, but got no comment. So
though it makes sense to talk to a PMC member directly, which seemed to
work. I will cc: the list.

 > As a short answer, there is no "owner" of OFBiz that could endorse
 > something or allow it to officially use the name.

Well, are you sure?

The Apache License says:

<quote>

6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade
names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor,
except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the
origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.

</quote>

So in other words, this would indeed disallow the abuse of the OFBiz
brand, at least if it was a trade mark of the ASF? I am indeed not sure
if ASF is registering all project names as trademarks. And I think this
does make sense.

 > Going forward my
 > opinion is that all sub-communities within OFBiz should use the OFBiz
 > resources to collaborate, like the mailing lists to communicate and
 > the docs.ofbiz.org site to post something.

So you personally would discorage sites such as:

http://www.ofbiz.co.uk/
http://www.ofbiz.de/
http://www.nereide.biz/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=5
http://www.ofbiz.nl/
http://www.ofbizchina.com/ - which was where I wondered if it belongs in
this list at all

which are currently linked from the ofbiz.apache.org site and therefore
- in my opinion - are somewhat endorsed by the project.

 From what I know about the way the ASF works (I have been a committer
and PMC member in a different Apache project myself) the PMC
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-members, for the
benefit of all who don't yet know the ASF jargon) would indeed discuss
and vote about a question like this.

Of course, this is to openly discussed, but I understand that the PMC
would indeed be in a position to make a decision about the content of
the official project site.

Quote:
The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody else.

Don't get me wrong; all I do here is to solve a practical problem, which
comes from here:

https://www.register.bg/user/static/rules/en/index.html#5.5

If the project feels like not encouraging Locale communities with their
own websites anymore, this would of course shed a different light on this.

In my opinion, a Locale community should indeed contribute any
translation and any code produced to the main project and not at all rin
any forks. But I think the purpose of a "national" OFBiz site would be to

a) provide information for potential users of OFBiz in that country in
their own language
b) organize the Locale community (and just that) and be a platform to
atract more people from that specific country to both contribute to as
well as advocate OFBiz

Regards,
Torsten

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 12, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> David,
>
> > The best place for this question would be on the mailing list.
>
> I had been posting this on the mailing list, but got no comment. So
> though it makes sense to talk to a PMC member directly, which
> seemed to work. I will cc: the list.

If people care about it, they'll answer. Of course, this may have
just been a victim of bad timing. Unfortunately there is no way to
make sure that every question gets answered and every problem gets
solved, especially in a zero funding, 100% volunteer structure.

> > As a short answer, there is no "owner" of OFBiz that could endorse
> > something or allow it to officially use the name.
>
> Well, are you sure?
>
> The Apache License says:
>
> <quote>
>
> 6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the
> trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the
> Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in
> describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of
> the NOTICE file.
>
> </quote>
>
> So in other words, this would indeed disallow the abuse of the
> OFBiz brand, at least if it was a trade mark of the ASF? I am
> indeed not sure if ASF is registering all project names as
> trademarks. And I think this does make sense.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure, because "OFBiz" is not a trademark, and
neither is "The Open For Business Project" or any variation on these
that I'm aware of.

> > Going forward my
> > opinion is that all sub-communities within OFBiz should use the
> OFBiz
> > resources to collaborate, like the mailing lists to communicate and
> > the docs.ofbiz.org site to post something.
>
> So you personally would discorage sites such as:
>
> http://www.ofbiz.co.uk/
> http://www.ofbiz.de/
> http://www.nereide.biz/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=5
> http://www.ofbiz.nl/
> http://www.ofbizchina.com/ - which was where I wondered if it
> belongs in this list at all
>
> which are currently linked from the ofbiz.apache.org site and
> therefore - in my opinion - are somewhat endorsed by the project.

That is my opinion on how things should change.

> From what I know about the way the ASF works (I have been a
> committer and PMC member in a different Apache project myself) the
> PMC (http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-
> members, for the benefit of all who don't yet know the ASF jargon)
> would indeed discuss and vote about a question like this.
>
> Of course, this is to openly discussed, but I understand that the
> PMC would indeed be in a position to make a decision about the
> content of the official project site.
>
> Quote:
> The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody
> else.

My understanding is that same, that the PMC decides how this will
work, based on community feed back (which I think is something needed
at this point on this topic).

> Don't get me wrong; all I do here is to solve a practical problem,
> which comes from here:
>
> https://www.register.bg/user/static/rules/en/index.html#5.5
>
> If the project feels like not encouraging Locale communities with
> their own websites anymore, this would of course shed a different
> light on this.
>
> In my opinion, a Locale community should indeed contribute any
> translation and any code produced to the main project and not at
> all rin any forks. But I think the purpose of a "national" OFBiz
> site would be to
>
> a) provide information for potential users of OFBiz in that country
> in their own language
> b) organize the Locale community (and just that) and be a platform
> to atract more people from that specific country to both contribute
> to as well as advocate OFBiz

Yes, this would be the general idea/goal, and I think what I
mentioned above with using the OFBiz resources would be the best way
to go. That is just my thought on it, but it is based on the fact
that previous attempts to do this on separate sites have never worked
and my guess is because the people who started it haven't been able
to keep it going, and haven't been able to attract enough attention
and make it easy enough for others to get involved.

-David