Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Bobko <ry...@ostrich-emulators.com> on 2004/07/28 20:26:48 UTC

conceptual help with ignore properties

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for ideas to fit subversion into my development team's work
style. Basically, we have a repository of webpages we're working on, but
each developer has a configuration file that is unique to their machine.
This configuration file is necessary for the proper operation of the
site, so a generic file--which may be changed occasionally--should be
part of the repository, but in general, the developers want the file
ignored when updating and commiting to the repository.

Is the only solution to set the ignore property on the file for normal
use, but then un-ignore it when the file really has to be changed? Is
there a better way?

Thanks

Re: conceptual help with ignore properties

Posted by Michael W Thelen <th...@cs.utah.edu>.
* Ryan Bobko <ry...@ostrich-emulators.com> [2004-07-28 14:27]:
> I'm looking for ideas to fit subversion into my development team's work
> style. Basically, we have a repository of webpages we're working on, but
> each developer has a configuration file that is unique to their machine.
> This configuration file is necessary for the proper operation of the
> site, so a generic file--which may be changed occasionally--should be
> part of the repository, but in general, the developers want the file
> ignored when updating and commiting to the repository.
>
> Is the only solution to set the ignore property on the file for normal
> use, but then un-ignore it when the file really has to be changed? Is
> there a better way?

I think this FAQ may answer your question:

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#ignore-commit

-- Mike

--
Michael W. Thelen
If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere