Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2017/08/05 20:48:48 UTC

MINSTALL-134 -

Hi to all,

I have taken a deeper look into the issue to remove the installation of
checksums and move that to the deployment part...This means to remove
the configuration for checksum generation (plus the code) in the
maven-artifact-transfer component and furthermore changes in the
maven-install-plugin.

But I came across a thing which I don't understand at the moment...

If I dive into the code of maven-artifact-transfer I found something
like this (this is originally transfered from maven-install-plugin):

         Artifact artifact = project.getArtifact();
         String packaging = project.getPackaging();
         File pomFile = project.getFile();

         List<Artifact> attachedArtifacts = project.getAttachedArtifacts();

         // TODO: push into transformation
         boolean isPomArtifact = "pom".equals( packaging );

         ProjectArtifactMetadata metadata;

         if ( updateReleaseInfo )
         {
             artifact.setRelease( true );
         }

in particular the last part...setting artifact.setRelease(true) which If
i correctly understand is simply wrong, cause that would set the
information of the artifact being a release and not a SNAPSHOT ...

Taken also a look into maven-install-plugin which has a property:

     @Parameter( property = "updateReleaseInfo", defaultValue = "false" )
     protected boolean updateReleaseInfo;

which from my point of view does not make sense cause an release
identified by not ending with "-SNAPSHOT" of the version....

So this means to me that this code can be / or better must be removed ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINSTALL-134

Re: MINSTALL-134 -

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Just an idea: it is for the timestamped snapshot.
With M2 you had the option to upload a SNAPSHOT without timestamp, this
has changed with M3.
But that should only has effect on deploy, not install.

Now that ASM-6.0_BETA is available I need to work on quite some plugins
first in order to get most of them working before the launch of J9

Robert

Re: MINSTALL-134 -

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Robert,

On 06/08/17 23:29, Robert Scholte wrote:
> Hi Karl Heinz,
>
> Based on the blame on this file, you should be the one being able to
> explain this ;)

To be honest No..cause I've taken that code from maven-install-plugin
...I've rechecked it's exactly the same in current version 2.5.2 of
maven-install-plugin...see [1]

> I assume the base is coming from maven-install-plugin and some logic got
> lost during refactoring.

And checked it and there seemed to be not something gone lost...;-)

Maybe my question was not clear enough...

Do you have an idea for what the property in maven-install-plugin
(current version 2.5.2) is used: updateReleaseInfo ?

This would set the release boolean flag in
org.apache.maven.artifact.Artifact (maven-artifact package v:3.0)...

 From my point of view this property nor the usage make sense for me

Re: MINSTALL-134 -

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Karl Heinz,