Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/11 01:27:32 UTC

Ideas for Templates

[Accidentally sent this fo Commons Dev instead of JMeter]

At the moment, the Template Manager reads the template details from a
fixed list of xml index files.

It's not particularly easy to add new templates or sets of templates.

I wonder whether the Template Manager should use a process of
discovery more like the way plugins are detected?

For example, rather than specifiying a list of files, it could work
from a list of directories.
It would be quite expensive to scan the JMX files themselves, but it
should be quick enough to scan any index xml files it finds.

If the manager could also load templates relative to the index file,
it would be possible to drop a set of files + index anywhere in the
templates directory tree and have them picked up.

The Manager should probably not scan every time, but it would be easy
enough to add a Reload button to the dialog.

I don't think we need to implement this all immediately - it could
wait for the next release.

Could even consider scanning zip/jar files containing templates plus
their index.

Re: Ideas for Templates

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Le 10/07/2013 23:27, sebb a ecrit :
> [Accidentally sent this fo Commons Dev instead of JMeter]
>
> At the moment, the Template Manager reads the template details from a
> fixed list of xml index files.
>
> It's not particularly easy to add new templates or sets of templates.
>
> I wonder whether the Template Manager should use a process of
> discovery more like the way plugins are detected?
>
> For example, rather than specifiying a list of files, it could work
> from a list of directories.
> It would be quite expensive to scan the JMX files themselves, but it
> should be quick enough to scan any index xml files it finds.
>
> If the manager could also load templates relative to the index file,
> it would be possible to drop a set of files + index anywhere in the
> templates directory tree and have them picked up.

+1 too, see my previous/next message with sebb.

> The Manager should probably not scan every time, but it would be easy
> enough to add a Reload button to the dialog.
>
> I don't think we need to implement this all immediately - it could
> wait for the next release.

Yes, I agree, not very primordial, but it would great if it's could
available for the 2.10 release ;-)

> Could even consider scanning zip/jar files containing templates plus
> their index.

+1 very good functionality.

Milamber