Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Meyer <mi...@yahoo.de> on 2008/06/27 08:11:40 UTC

Will there be a 1.4.7?

Hi,

I was wondering if you are planning a 1.4.7 release for all the 1.4 users still out there?

1.4.6 works fine for me, of course. But I am anxious about any possible FSFS repository corruption bugs that would make it better to move to 1.5.0?
Also there is this python memory leak nominated for being fixed in 1.4.7 which would possibly effect trac installations?

Or is it possible that anyone could say if there are any FSFS repository corruption bugs fixed in 1.5.0 but not in 1.4.6?

Thanks a lot!

Michael

Re: Will there be a 1.4.7?

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Michael Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you are planning a 1.4.7 release for all the 1.4 users still out there?
>
> 1.4.6 works fine for me, of course. But I am anxious about any possible FSFS repository corruption bugs that would make it better to move to 1.5.0?
> Also there is this python memory leak nominated for being fixed in 1.4.7 which would possibly effect trac installations?
>
> Or is it possible that anyone could say if there are any FSFS repository corruption bugs fixed in 1.5.0 but not in 1.4.6?

There are a number of bugs fixed in 1.5.0 which are not yet in fixed in
1.4.x.  Unfortunately, as the code diverges, the cost of backporting
fixes increases, and the frequency of doing so goes down.  Since there
was a substantial amount of time between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0, finding all
the applicable bugs and their relevent fixes is a time-consuming and
tedious process.  We encourage people to upgrade to 1.5.0, though we
recognize that isn't always feasible.

If you know of a specific bugfix which would be useful to have in future
1.4.x releases, and the set of revisions (on trunk) which fixed it,
please let us know.  There's no guarantee that we will do a future 1.4.x
release (though I personally would like to see one), but once a bugfix
gets ported to the 1.4.x branch, it will be in the next release.

Thanks,
-Hyrum