Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ac...@aol.com on 2004/06/23 17:30:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Nobody else can access my server - Private IP?? help appreciated.

To Whom It May Concern:
    Recently I installed the Apache 1.3.31 server, in hopes of running my
website off of my PC. Everything was setting up wonderfully until I found that no
other computers could access my website. A friend who is doing this said it
was because I had a "private IP address" that I could use and nobody else can
access. Is this true? If so, how do I remove this privacy setting?

In general, does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Sincerely,
Andrew

PS: I have a firewall in place, but Port 80 (the HTTP port) is open, so I
don't think this is the problem.

Re: [users@httpd] Nobody else can access my server - Private IP?? help appreciated.

Posted by Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca>.
If by firewall, you mean a masq router or DSL router, then it certainly is
the problem. See if you can log into your router and set the apache box onto
the DMZ.

And/or route all incoming requests on port 80 to the private IP of your
apache box.

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.be>.
Hi,

for your private IP:
On Windows: hit START on taskbar -> click on RUN
Type "cmd" without the quotes, hit ENTER
Win9x->ME: type "winipcfg" without quotes, hit ENTER
Win NT->2003: type "ipconfig" without quotes, hit ENTER

Now you know your IP.  If you work on DHCP, it may change, so you better
make it a fixed one.

For NAT'ing or port forwarding, read your firewalls manual.

Remember, Google is a very dear friend of us :)

Koen

Posted by Corie Smith <in...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.be>.
Hi,

you'll need port forwarding or NAT on your firewall.
Your PC has as ip 192.168.0.1 or something similar.  That's PRIVATE.  Inside
your network.
Your PUBLIC IP is on your firewall.  Check it here:
http://www.shimlar.com/ip.php
That's what the outside world sees.