Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "David R. Smith" <dr...@well.com> on 2000/09/12 23:47:12 UTC

Has anyone run Tomcat in JDK 1.4?

Hi all,
I'm trying to run Tomcat 3.1 under JDK 1.4 beta.  So far, no luck.
Right after Tomcat starts, it stops with a classdef not found error,
claiming that it can't find com.sun.xml.parser.Parser  (which is
there, in xml.jar, and it's in the classpath).

This is a Tomcat installation that runs just fine in JDK 1.3, on NT.
But if I tweak the tomcat.bat file to use JDK 1.4, it halts with
the classdef not found error.

Anyone have any tips on working around this problem?
Or for that matter, can anyone simply say whether they've
gotten Tomcat to work with 1.4?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Re: Has anyone run Tomcat in JDK 1.4?

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.
Yeah I've been scouring around java.sun.com is there one? I didn't even
know the spec was published!

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.

Posted by Geoff Soutter <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>.
JDK1.4? Does such a beast exist?

I thought we were still in beta for 1.3!

geoff

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"David R. Smith" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to run Tomcat 3.1 under JDK 1.4 beta.  So far, no luck.
> Right after Tomcat starts, it stops with a classdef not found error,
> claiming that it can't find com.sun.xml.parser.Parser  (which is
> there, in xml.jar, and it's in the classpath).
>
> This is a Tomcat installation that runs just fine in JDK 1.3, on NT.
> But if I tweak the tomcat.bat file to use JDK 1.4, it halts with
> the classdef not found error.
>
> Anyone have any tips on working around this problem?
> Or for that matter, can anyone simply say whether they've
> gotten Tomcat to work with 1.4?

I haven't tried 1.4, but I would suggest you experiment with 3.2 instead
of 3.1.  The reason is that 3.2 can use any JAXP-compatible XML parser.
If memory servers me, doesn't 1.4 have a JAXP-compatible parser built
in?  If so, it could be interfering with the old parser (in xml.jar) that
Tomcat 3.1 used.

> Thanks in advance
> Dave

Craig McClanahan