Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2007/10/29 07:53:42 UTC

AppFramework licensing discussion

Tom started an ASF vs. LGPL discussion with the AppFramework project
(that is mainly being developed by sun). If anybody thinks that
AppFramework is a technology important enough for the Modeler and is
willing to argue why an ASF/BSD/MIT license is a good thing for them,
here is a link:

https://appframework.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=1210

While the framework looks nice, I haven't evaluated it for real yet,
besides that'll likely start a flame war, so I am staying away from
it myself :-)

Andrus

Re: AppFramework licensing discussion

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Real ASF lawyers have looked at the issue, and their decisions
(binding to all ASF projects) are available here.

http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

[ I think this page might be more up-to-date at a different location,
but I don't have it off-hand, and it hasn't changed in any non-trivial
way as far as I know. ]

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> If people feel strongly enough about it, another option would be to
> pull
> CM out altogether and host it as a non-ASF project.

I am certainly -1 on that. There is a great benefit to CayenneModeler
being a part of Cayenne.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I'm not much in favor of CM being pulled out.  I'm in favor of good
tools to develop it, though.  (Yes, we could argue the definition of
"good" ...)  I'm still kind of a NeXTstep hack and liked using
Interface Builder (on NeXT or OS X).  NB isn't there, yet, in terms of
being as nice as IB, but the last time I played with it, making a
basic GUI wasn't too bad.  I suppose I could learn Swing/etc from the
source-code level, though.

/dev/mrg

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.