Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by hari ks <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/08 12:14:52 UTC

tapestry to JSF conversion

hi,
   I want to know how easy would it be to convert
tapestry to JSF application. Also  vice-versa. Idea is
if we find problems in tapestry , we will convert it
to JSF and continue development in JSF.

Thanks,
Hari

Re: tapestry to JSF conversion

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.
Or Tacos commiters, hehe :P

--
Ing. Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi
DTQ Software

Re: tapestry to JSF conversion

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.
Official Sun propaganda and being part of the J2EE specification ;). But
that's the reason I quoted it. It's a "standard", not a *standard*.

It's just to point out that lots of people will go out for that just
because it has "corporate support" (yeah right!) and that Tapestry
should acknowledge that.

Posted by Cosmin Bucur <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
> I wonder if Tapestry should implement some kind of
> JSF integration
> layer. JSF is the "standard" after all. We just
> can't look the other way
> around and ignore it!

Tapestry can be used to create portlets, and JSF
supports them too.
I think this kind of integration is enough.
I think that an attempt to mix T and JSF components on
the page does not worth the efforts.

Although, Icould imagine how JSF and T output can be
mixed on a page with AJAX, but I would not want to
touch such Frankenpage.

Re: tapestry to JSF conversion

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.

Posted by John Coleman <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
These frameworks are very different, such conversion would not be
straightforeward, although there are some parallels. I believe you would
really being doing a rewrite. This would waste a lot of time!

If there is a problem in Tapestry, it could be addressed in this forum, and
the code is open source so that it might be possible to fix it directly
yourself anyway. Otherwise you could possibly pay a Tapestry consultant to
help you?

Tapestry is well matured technology now, I do not think you should worry
about having significant problems. It can be integrated with JSP if you
really have to because of some particular requirement not working with
Tapestry. With Tapestry, you need to make sure you are happy with things
like URLs, form handling and the validation. Basically anything that imposes
how you do things that might not work with other technologies in some cases.

John

Posted by Cosmin Bucur <co...@gmail.com>.
I think u'll be stuck at starting a new presentation layer from
scratch . best thing you can do is decouple your bl layer as much as
you can and then just replace the presentation layer .

you could probably be able to plan  this better if you would know both
jsf and tapestry inside out , in  which case you wouldn't be asking
this question :)

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
JSF is not problem free too :)